Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: LCD / LED TVs  (Read 25353 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
LCD / LED TVs
« on: October 01, 2010, 17:48 »
Nothing wrong with my plasma at the moment, but it's not full HD, so I'm not getting the best picture quality from Bluray discs.  My problem is, I need a TV with a 'hard' screen, like a plasma, not 'soft', like an LCD is.  Does anyone know what sort of screen the new(ish) LEDs have?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: LCD / LED TVs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 19:09 »
Can't help, Simon, but I'll be following this thread with interest because we're thinking of getting a new TV this Christmas to replace our ageing CRT.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 19:38 »
I saw the LED TV's when I visited Bangkok last year.  Wow!  What a picture!  And they are wafer thin too.  I've found an interesting website for you:  http://www.ledtvreviews.co.uk/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 20:01 »
Thanks Clive, I'll check that out later.  It looks like the LED sets may be a little too fragile for my requirements.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 21:21 »
Having been more than happy with my Panasonic plasma, I'd probably go for this model, but I think I'd need to see one in the flesh, so as to decide whether it would be robust enough to withstand the treatment it would receive from sprog.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 22:29 »
Amazon price £749.99
Tesco price £1099.00

Every little bit helps.   :o:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 23:09 »
Simon why do you need a "hard" screen. Here at daveeb towers we have 3 x LCD screens and two marauding kids and the screens (touch wood) have never been damaged. Hard screens tend to be far more reflective and can cause viewing problems with unwanted reflections depending on the lighting.

I spent ages agonising over the plasma/lcd debate. Supposedly plasmas are better in low light viewing and lcd are better for the brighter room. All i can say is lcd's have come on in leaps and bounds, the blacks look really black even when all the lights are out. Plasmas still need running in for the first thousand hours or so apparently so for me in the end it was a no brainer.

I'm feeling particularly smug right now as i've had my first taste of freeview hd courtesy the Sony Bravia (37ex503)  tv i got a few weeks ago. i have to say i was very impressed particularly when i watched my first HD football match. Unfortunately it was Man U and they won (sorry chorley dave) but impressive never the less.  :o:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 23:47 »
My lad has autism and severe learning challenges, Dave, and at 18, he can throw a fair punch at a TV screen, not to mention drinks cups and other handy missiles.  I didn't think an LCD screen would stand up to that sort of punishment, hence my going for the seemingly more robust plasma.  It seems that the LEDs are thinner, and presumably lighter, than LCDs, and as wall hanging isn't a practical option without a full redesign of the lounge, I need something with a bit of stability.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 18:31 »
My son has a 37" LED which he bought two months ago and is over the moon with it.  I haven't seen it yet because he has tended to visit us since our last London trip in April.  He says that he can't get over the depth of the picture - unlike anything he has seen previously.  It cost him £600.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 19:34 »
Yes, they are less than I paid for my plasma 4 years ago. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 20:21 »
I'm feeling particularly smug right now as i've had my first taste of freeview hd courtesy the Sony Bravia (37ex503)  tv i got a few weeks ago. i have to say i was very impressed particularly when i watched my first HD football match. Unfortunately it was Man U and they won (sorry chorley dave) but impressive never the less.  :o:

His Lordship came home with a Sony catalogue today and I've got to say we are impressed by the specifications of the various Bravias.  Thanks for giving us your opinion, Dave  :thumb: .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 20:28 »
I'm going to have to have a look at the Sonys...

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:39 »
Nothing wrong with my plasma at the moment, but it's not full HD, so I'm not getting the best picture quality from Bluray discs.  My problem is, I need a TV with a 'hard' screen, like a plasma, not 'soft', like an LCD is.  Does anyone know what sort of screen the new(ish) LEDs have?

Ive got a LG- LCD 42" Telly which is full HD, but I never did understand the difference between full HD and HD ready; anyone elighten me?

if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 10:22 »
It's all in the resolution, DG.  'HD Ready' is usually up to 720p resolution (1280×720), whereas Full HD is 1080p resolution (1920×1080).  An 'HD Ready' set will usually accept the higher resolution input from, say, a Bluray player, but will downscale the output to it's native resolution, which, I think, to be precise, is usually 1366x768.  A 'Full HD' set will display the picture at the full 1920x1080 resolution, hence, theoretically, a sharper image.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 20:32 »
His Lordship came home with a Sony catalogue today and I've got to say we are impressed by the specifications of the various Bravias.  Thanks for giving us your opinion, Dave  :thumb: .

I'm not always a big fan of Sony stuff Gill but this TV is excellent  :thumbs:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum