Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Boot Disc Failure, another one....  (Read 29781 times)

Offline D-Dan

Re: Boot Disc Failure, another one....
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 00:40 »
 :peepsofa:
Phenom II X4 965, overclocked
Radeon HD4670 (1Gb)
8Gb RAM
1.25 Tb HD
Arch Linux (Custom build with custom kernel)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 00:56 »
But if you can help with the boot disc failure, you might just get away with it.  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 09:12 »
Can't you re-install XP, Kate?

Getting back to the actually topic.

I think my HDD is on the fritz, has been for a while. I ended up doing a XP repair the other day, hence all of the updates.

It seems to have made it a little better. Doesn't take forever to shut down now.

Michael has given me his external HDD for me to use as back up, but I don't know how to transfer my stuff over to it. I have several user accounts on the PC and I don't know how to transfer the different files over.

Michael also gave me his old 500GB HDD from his Medion computer. He reformatted it and I'd like to use it as well, but I don't know how to boot to different HDDs.

Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48 »
stick the external drive in and if you are an admin user you should be able to copy over the whole drive. There are probably tools todo this but windows file manager should allow you todo this easily. Once you have made you backup copy I'd take out the old disk stick in the 500GB internal drive and reinstall XP but on that, then you are done. Or something like that. I know that makes it sound simple and a 5 minute job but I can give more specifics if you like. The first step is to get the external drive working, no point doing anything without a backup - maybe that's my paranoia.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 09:54 »
I also think you need to simplify your system, Kate.  Why have multiple  user accounts when it's just the two of you?  It just makes things more complex than they need to be.

Once you've backed up, I'd partition the 500Gb drive before installing Windows.  80Gb should be fine for the Windows installation and programs, then you'll have the rest free for storage.  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55 »
Even better, a small HD for the system files only...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 09:57 »
I also think you need to simplify your system, Kate.  Why have multiple  user accounts when it's just the two of you?  It just makes things more complex than they need to be.

Once you've backed up, I'd partition the 500Gb drive before installing Windows.  80Gb should be fine for the Windows installation and programs, then you'll have the rest free for storage.  

sounds like a plan, but as Rik said another HD would be better. Especially if you have old small drive knocking around.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline D-Dan

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06 »
Or, and I don't hesitate to say it, download and burn one of the live Linux distros. Pop the new HD in the machine then boot the live CD. You can then use Linux Live to transfer all the files that you want to keep from one drive to the other without worrying about administrative privileges.

Steve
Phenom II X4 965, overclocked
Radeon HD4670 (1Gb)
8Gb RAM
1.25 Tb HD
Arch Linux (Custom build with custom kernel)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12 »
Sounds like a plan too!

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 10:21 »
stick the external drive in and if you are an admin user you should be able to copy over the whole drive. There are probably tools todo this but windows file manager should allow you todo this easily. Once you have made you backup copy I'd take out the old disk stick in the 500GB internal drive and reinstall XP but on that, then you are done. Or something like that. I know that makes it sound simple and a 5 minute job but I can give more specifics if you like. The first step is to get the external drive working, no point doing anything without a backup - maybe that's my paranoia.

Thanks Sam, I'll give it a go tomorrow, then back up bit that is.

The other 500gb is an old Medion HDD which still has XP already on it.

I need extra user accounts to isolate cookies, it's an ebay thing.  :o:

I just asked Michael if he had formatted the other HDD, can't remember.....  bloody hell!   ::)

I'll assume he did and reinstalled XP.

Even better, a small HD for the system files only...

We don't have a small HDD, just the 2 old 500gb medions.

How do I check if either of them are going to Australian cricket heaven.   :bawl:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24 »
If you go to the manufacturers' web sites, you will find test tools you can download, Kate. Device manager will tell you who the manufacturers are.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28 »
Thanks Rik.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26 »
Or, and I don't hesitate to say it, download and burn one of the live Linux distros. Pop the new HD in the machine then boot the live CD. You can then use Linux Live to transfer all the files that you want to keep from one drive to the other without worrying about administrative privileges.

Steve

*that's what I would do* but wanted to avoid being the Linux evangelist for once.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26 »
Not feeling well, Sam?  ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27 »
I need extra user accounts to isolate cookies, it's an ebay thing.  :o:

if you do this, instead of different user accounts use different profiles in the web-browser...
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum