Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PFA's Gordon Taylor defends Ryan Babel's Twitter posts  (Read 2805 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Players' chief Gordon Taylor has described the Football Association as "very precious" for charging Liverpool winger Ryan Babel over Twitter posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9352443.stm

I think its daft that people can't say what they think, really everyone is entitled to comment and it was a bit of a laugh really.  Here is the pic: http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/howard-webb.jpg
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: PFA's Gordon Taylor defends Ryan Babel's Twitter posts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36 »
The problem is, Sam, that in any sport, if you allow player's to undermine the officials, you end up with anarchy.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23 »
Oh, yes I agree with that. However, its no different to him voicing his personally opinion in a newspaper - I bet those who have columns wouldn't have been criticised so badly. I just think its a freedom of speech argument really. If he started swearing at the ref in the game then the FA should come down hard on him. Shame they don't do that. Football and its discipline is rather messed up and the lack of respect shown on the pitch for officials is crazy.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50 »
That's where the FA should take a lesson from rugby, imo, Sam. Show dissent, or commit an offence, and you can be shown a yellow card which means you're off the field for 10 minutes straight away. It has an impact on the team, often the result, and so there's relatively little dissent, though I note it's creeping in with coaches and they have been punished by the RFU.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 14:27 »
oh indeed. The same in hockey here. I strongly believe that any yellow card in football should equal 5 or 10 minutes off the pitch. Would change the game but cut out all the needless acting etc.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 16:57 »
Rugby also uses a television match official to review questionable scores. I wonder why football is so scared of this technology.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 17:18 »
exactly. So do most major sports - its crazy that football doesnt.

the argument is often it will effect grass roots sports... no, no it won't. The premier league is already dramatically different to your Sunday league team - heck they play on frozen pitches etc. Deal with it football it cant be the same everywhere.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 17:34 »
Couldn't agree more, Sam. I also like rugby's 'citing officer' system, someone who reviews the match looking for foul play the officials missed.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum