Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Woohoo - finally did it  (Read 2107 times)

Offline D-Dan

Woohoo - finally did it
« on: January 16, 2011, 21:56 »
After trying many many times, I finally got Windows Live Messenger to run on a Linux desktop with full webcam video and audio support (via VB in seamless mode).

Previously the furthest I could get was text only mode, which I could do with native linux apps. The webcam was the big problem, but now it works.

One less reason to boot to Windows proper, now. When they fix wine to work with Cinema 4D R12 I'll be happy :)

Steve
Phenom II X4 965, overclocked
Radeon HD4670 (1Gb)
8Gb RAM
1.25 Tb HD
Arch Linux (Custom build with custom kernel)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Woohoo - finally did it
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 22:18 »
Nice!! I absolutely hate live messenger, but great to see that one has got it all working nicely in linux!

Not a skype fan? Actually I was going to suggest pidgin, but I bet that don't do video!

Anything to avoid windows... on that note time for me to reboot, fecking itunes and new ipod nano (yeah I treated myself given the old ipod's hard drive failed)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 22:29 »
Glad to hear of your victory, Steve.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline D-Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 00:02 »
Nice!! I absolutely hate live messenger, but great to see that one has got it all working nicely in linux!

Not a skype fan? Actually I was going to suggest pidgin, but I bet that don't do video!

Anything to avoid windows... on that note time for me to reboot, fecking itunes and new ipod nano (yeah I treated myself given the old ipod's hard drive failed)

It has to be WLM - my fiance is 2000 miles away and it's the only reliable way we can have a face to face conversation (she doesn't like skype). Screenshot is here :)

Personally, I hate iTunes, though I appreciate that people with apple players (iPod etc) are forced to use it, though you could try WinAmp which will sync with your iPod. Also, have you looked at these options?

Steve

Phenom II X4 965, overclocked
Radeon HD4670 (1Gb)
8Gb RAM
1.25 Tb HD
Arch Linux (Custom build with custom kernel)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 00:12 »
I didn't know WinAmp will sync with iPods.  I'll have to check that out.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:40 »
It has to be WLM - my fiance is 2000 miles away and it's the only reliable way we can have a face to face conversation (she doesn't like skype). Screenshot is here :)

Personally, I hate iTunes, though I appreciate that people with apple players (iPod etc) are forced to use it, though you could try WinAmp which will sync with your iPod. Also, have you looked at these options?

Steve

nice! and im talking about the desktop backgroud. my lass is in england im canada so understand what you mean about distance, fourtunately mines hates MS and likes skype, makes thing easier.

Thanks for the link - I think I went down most of those before, I used to be a huge amarok person now I'm a rhythmbox guy... still though both are giving s**t with my new nano.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum