Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Great news for sausage fans  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Great news for sausage fans
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:21 »
The BBC reports a victory for Cumbria:

Cumberland sausage has been successful in its bid to be made only in Cumbria.

It now ranks alongside the likes of Champagne, Parma ham and Greek feta cheese in having Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status under EU law.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the move would guarantee its heritage and be a major boost for Cumbria's butchers.

Other protected UK food and drink products include Cornish clotted cream and Stilton cheese.

To display the PGI mark, the sausage must be produced, processed and prepared in Cumbria and have a meat content of at least 80%.

Recipes vary from butcher to butcher, but must include seasoning and be sold in a long coil.

Great news for Cumbria, but also for us. It protects the quality of the sausage and ensures more regional foods survive.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Great news for sausage fans
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:31 »
:thumb:

I note RPC pasties are now called Sussex Pasties. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 13:08 »
While Dewdney's are calling theirs Plymouth Pasties. I'm waiting for someone to use the xxx-style product name, I suspect it's bound to come.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 13:30 »
Indeed. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum