Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Registry leak?  (Read 7426 times)

Offline momad30044

Re:Registry leak?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2003, 13:14 »
I guess it might be time to admit defeat, huh?  I've downloaded all the Windows updates and everything you folks have been kind enough to suggest, and Visual Basic still refuses to run.  I can do everything up until I hit the "run" button.  Then it shuts down.  I just read that Microsoft has a VB Learning book and maybe I'll check that out.  They at least have  help available online.  Thanks for all your help.

Debbie

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2003, 14:08 »
In the next hour, I'll have downloaded all the updates (couldn't use aol, had to use Internet Explorer) for Windows 98.

Completely clutching at straws Debbie, but are you using AOL as your Internet browser, rather than Internet Explorer?

Hopefully one of the techies can answer this, but could there possibly be a compatability problem with AOL, and the program you are trying to run?  Have you tried running it with Internet Explorer as your default browser?  

Just a thought - probably on totally the wrong track as usual!   ::) :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2003, 14:15 »
Never say never Debbie,someone may come up with an explanation of what needs to be done (Adept have you seen this thread recently  :o ) Someone else will have had exactly the same problem at sometime and no doubt got it sorted  :)

Adept

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2003, 14:58 »

(Adept have you seen this thread recently  :o )

I've been keeping a watchful eye on it Sandra  ;) You seem to have been doing well without me so I've kept quiet :-X

I don't really have anything else to add. This is one of those really annoying DLL-Hell type senarios which people generally solve either by completely re-installing Windows (don't do it Debbie :o)! or by buying a new PC.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2003, 16:13 »
Oh dear,well if you cant come up with anything Adept,and old Scrumpy Jack thought it was the missing run time files then theres not much chance of me sorting it out,sorry to have let you down Debbie :(
Unless Lobo has any bright ides,after that I have run out of experts to ask ;)

Offline momad30044

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2003, 23:52 »
I've had it!  After giving up on Visual Basic and taking the computer in for maintenance, I thought everything would be perfect.  I go on this morning to check e-mail, etc and aol refuses to start.  Now, mind you, I was on aol last night and everything was fine. Error message says there's a missing dll.  The strange thing is...there were crumbs (seemed to be potato chips) surrounding the computer.  I think my dlls are partying and running off during the night. Darn things! Why does everybody hate me! :-[

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2003, 23:55 »
Ah,that may be the problem then Debbie,the CHIPS are supposed to stay inside the computer  ;D ;D ;D

Offline momad30044

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2003, 00:01 »
So, where exactly do dll files go?  I've looked behind all my books, under the mousepad and under the scanner lid and they aren't there...does anybody know what a dll file looks like?  Seriously though, where exactly do they go?  How can they be there one minute and gone the next...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2003, 01:00 »
Hi Debbie,quite often they dont go anywhere but cant be accessed for some reason.Sometimes rebooting will allow them to be found,sometimes they get corrupted.Sometimes if you install a program it will replace some files with some of its own,then if you decide to uninstall that program at a later date it takes the files it installed in place of the others and doesnt replace the ones it removed  :o
When you think how many files of all the different types are on a PC (just see how many have been done the next time you do an AV scan) it amazes me that windows can find as many as it does  ;)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2003, 19:25 »
@Debbie,
"I've been having trouble running  "learn visual basic" software"

Hi Debbie normally this type of software is meant to be used in-conjunction with the full software installation I.E. Visual Basic, if you install the latest version of Visual Basic that will install all the .dll and system files that are missing

Brian
 ;D

url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum