Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: High Definition TV  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
High Definition TV
« on: July 09, 2011, 06:58 »
Has anyone noticed that when viewing ITV High Definition Programmes that the sound is not always in sync? This is more noticeable on outside broadcasts, or is it a problem with my TV Set?

if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: High Definition TV
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:32 »
I noticed it a couple of times when I first had mine but not recently.  It will be Sky, not your set.  In the early days of Sky TV it was normal for sound to be out of sync.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:39 »
I can't receive HD yet, so can't help, sorry.  :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:16 »
I can't comment on ITV because there never seems to be anything on that channel which we wish to watch.  However, we get problems with BBC1 HD programmes breaking up.  I suspect the broadcasting infrastructure can't cope with this new technology.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:15 »
This area has traditionally always been the last to get broadcasting goodies, and Freeview HD won't arrive here until March 2012, so two days ago I bought myself a Humax Foxsat HD set top satellite box to experience Freesat HD in all its glory.  There is an option to correct synch problems in the setup menu, but I haven't needed to use it.

From my experience so far, I'd have to say HD is a bit of a disappointment really.  There's currently only four HD channels - and they don't always transmit in HD.  I suppose I could improve the situation by giving 30 quid a month to that loathsome pariah Murdoch, but hey...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 14:02 »
Same here, Rod.  2012 for Freeview HD, what there is of it.  I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it, because I hardly watch TV these days anyway.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 15:18 »
Down here at the arse-end of civilisation we still don't have Channel 5 on terrestrial telly.   

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 16:39 »
I actually enjoyed watching a programme on C5 the other night.

:o
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 16:56 »
Down here at the arse-end of civilisation we still don't have Channel 5 on terrestrial telly.   

You're not missing anything.

I actually enjoyed watching a programme on C5 the other night.

:o

:sanity:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 17:39 »
I recently subscribed to Sky HD because they were giving away £100 of M&S vouchers.  Frankly, it makes lots of things worse - particularly close-ups of presenters faces.  Every zit and blackhead is visible and slightly stomach-churning. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 18:23 »
:vomit:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:29 »
I noticed it a couple of times when I first had mine but not recently.  It will be Sky, not your set.  In the early days of Sky TV it was normal for sound to be out of sync.

I guess your right. I havent got Sky, but Ive got Freesat via Humax Box, but I realise that the signal is coming from one of Sky satellites.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31 »
This area has traditionally always been the last to get broadcasting goodies, and Freeview HD won't arrive here until March 2012, so two days ago I bought myself a Humax Foxsat HD set top satellite box to experience Freesat HD in all its glory.  There is an option to correct synch problems in the setup menu, but I haven't needed to use it.

From my experience so far, I'd have to say HD is a bit of a disappointment really.  There's currently only four HD channels - and they don't always transmit in HD.  I suppose I could improve the situation by giving 30 quid a month to that loathsome pariah Murdoch, but hey...

Ive got that Humax Box, but does it alter the Sync for all time or is it automatic correction where necessary?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:26 »
Well, according to the spanish waiter, it will stay set like that until you change it again.  viz: "Lip-Sync is applied to all channels when once adjusted."

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 12:29 »
I see you ignored your mother's advice not to pull faces in the wind, Rod.  :)x

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum