Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Maximum Calculus with Maxima  (Read 2121 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Maximum Calculus with Maxima
« on: July 14, 2011, 15:48 »
We looked at Maxima in the February 2011 issue to do algebra and rearrange some equations. But those aren't the only tricks up Maxima's sleeve. This month, I describe how Maxima can help with differential equations, but I'm going to leave out some of the intermediate results to save some space.

A lot of science involves figuring out how systems change over time and what causes those changes. When you start looking at changes, and especially rates of change, that is essentially calculus. Calculus and rates of change also are linked to slopes of lines on graphs. When you plot data and find an equation that describes it, you can find the slope of the line by taking the derivative of the equation. Let's look at a falling object and see what theory has to say about it.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/maximum-calculus-maxima
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Maximum Calculus with Maxima
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 18:47 »
Now that is interesting.  I always found calculus fascinating at school, even if it did confound me :blush: .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Maximum Calculus with Maxima
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 20:07 »
There are some fantastic tools out there. I have to say I'm a numerical guy. I'd I find an integral hard to do analytically I just do it brute force with a computer. Oh you should see the fantastic thongs wolfram alpha can do too. Of course that uses mathematica under the hood
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum