Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Baking Bread  (Read 12450 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Baking Bread
« on: July 16, 2011, 17:00 »
We drove over to Oundle today where a food festival was being held.  What a lovely market town.  The centre looks very like Stamford with the houses built out of local quarried stone, but it's not so big or busy as Stamford.  The only problem was it took us half an hour to work out how to get into the town because the bridge in had been sealed off for building works.  As a result, the traffic diversion was circuitous and it took ages to work out where we needed to break the circle.

Dan Lepard was holding a workshop in bread baking and we arrived at the venue about ten minutes late.  Fortunately, the organisers had realised that there were traffic problems so they had delayed the start by ten minutes :) .

Bearing in mind that classes with Dan can cost £230, we thought the £12.50 it cost for this workshop was excellent value.  He explained and demonstrated the whole baking process very thoroughly, not only covering bread made with yeast but also sourdough bread which does not have added yeast.  It was great to pick up a few tips and wrinkles from such a knowledgeable baker.  His Lordship had made his first ever attempt at sourdough bread yesterday and although it had been edible, it hadn't been a great success.  Watching Dan go through the process helped identify where he'd gone wrong (forgetting to add salt).  At the end of the demonstration Dan took questions which he answered in great detail and with enthusiasm.  He's clearly a man with a passion for dough.  Oh, and everyone was given two free bags of Shipton Mill white bread flour plus two sachets of dried yeast.

What's my sourdough bread like?  Well, I reckon it's much tastier than supermarket stuff made by the Chorleywood method using grain which would otherwise be sent for animal fodder and which is filled with so much yeast and preservatives that it gets a full rise within seventeen minutes:

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
Re: Baking Bread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 17:06 »

Bearing in mind that classes with Dan can cost £230......

:o :o :o

Im in the wrong job.why are they that much.I just get out the bread making machine and whack in the ingredients  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Sounds like a great trip, Gill, I would like to have been there.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 17:09 »
ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was on 666 post count 

thats better  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 17:13 »
 :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 17:29 »
Sounds like a great day, Gill.  You will have to open a Pals Shop so that we can all sample your recipes.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 17:33 »
Great idea.  :thumb:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 17:34 »
:smart:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 17:37 »
One day we'll have to hold a PC-Pals picnic or barbecue.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 17:44 »
I'm nice and centrally placed. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 18:13 »
;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 23:27 »
The more I bake, the easier it is :) .  These sourdough loaves were made with wholemeal, white and rye flour, salt and water - no sugar or yeast:

I was able to use some of the techniques I picked up from Dan Lepard and the bread has a much more even crumb and a better shape.  It's tasty too :) .

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 23:30 »
Damn, now I'm hungry. 

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24 »
Next thing you'll have to try is country biscuits and bulldog gravy  :laugh:
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 09:45 »
What are they?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum