Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Review: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Review: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100
« on: July 26, 2011, 22:31 »
At first look, there isn’t an awful lot to differentiate the FZ100 from the FZ45, despite costing a good deal more. Look closer, though, and the differences become clear.

Although the 24x zoom lens (25-600mm 35mm equivalent) and 14.1-megapixel sensor are identical, the FZ100 is aimed at the enthusiast who wants a little more. There’s a hotshoe to attach an external flash for better shots in low light. You also get a 3in articulated screen that opens and can face any direction.

This screen has twice the resolution of that on the FZ45 (460kpixels), which makes it easier to see if shots are in focus. The electronic viewfinder is less impressive, with only 202kpixels, so we’d be surprised if anyone used it instead of the main LCD.

Another difference is the 1080i video mode. It’s better than the FZ45’s 720p resolution, and records footage in AVCHD format at 17Mbits/sec. The level of detail in the FZ100’s footage is superior, and video can be split in-camera so you can trim the beginning and end from clips, saving space.

The FZ100’s controls are excellent – again, similar to that on the FZ45. There’s a command dial, plus shutter, video record buttons and a burst control, with five different modes ranging from 2fps to 60fps. Up to 15 frames can be captured at full resolution at 4.2fps.

And, last but not least, image quality is great. The optical stabilisation is excellent, and we were able to shoot sharp photos throughout the lens’ zoom range. Stills quality is as good as with the FZ45, which is to say, excellent.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/digital-cameras/368692/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz100
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re: Review: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 23:37 »
That's really quite lovely. 

The trouble is, only a few short minutes after buying a FZ28, it had already become obsolete.  Then, once my gaze alighted on a G2 it was replaced the following day by the G3.  I can guarantee that the very instant I buy this, digital photography will go the way of the gramophone.

In the meantime here's Bournemouth from 500 feet - as taken by the FZ28 in frighteningly windy conditions only some three days ago.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 23:42 »
Don't say... forty seconds earlier you had been trying to take an aerial shot of Poole.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 23:48 »
No, but my lunch arrived on the outskirts of Christchurch a couple of minutes later.   :green:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 23:55 »
Seems we don't have a :green: smiley.  Will this do?  :vomit:

Nice pic, btw.  I bought a G1 practically on the day they came out, and criminally, I could probably count the number of times I've used it on Tony Iommi's right hand. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 00:01 »
You'll go deaf if you don't stop doing that.    :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 00:03 »
Pardon?  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06 »
 :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum