Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How can 30-year-old receivers sound better than new ones?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: How can 30-year-old receivers sound better than new ones?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 20:24 »
interesting...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 22:34 »
I don't disagree with that.  I've had several amps / receivers since getting into DVDs and surround sound, and none can match the sound I got from my old Pioneer system.  I think it's also because they are trying to be do too much, and be everything in one box.  Stereo CDs sound sh*t through most AV amps, but most people haven't got the room, let alone the money, for separate amps and speakers, so go for the all in one option.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 00:46 »
I've got a lovely old hi-fi system with a NAD amp, Denon triple-headed tape deck with Dolby C, Aiwa turntable with pre-amp, and some Mission speakers.  I bought them back in the mid-eighties and they still sound much better than the CD/DAB/MP3 players we've acquired since.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:04 »
I agree with Simon. An all in one box is never going to sound as good as a dedicated amp.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum