Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Improving DAB Radio Reception  (Read 21726 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Improving DAB Radio Reception
« on: August 03, 2011, 15:02 »
I have an old DAB radio which can receive all the stations I want to hear with no problem.  I've also got a newer DAB radio which cannot receive all the stations I want hear, even when it is placed in the same location as the old one.  However, I want to use the newer radio because it has other accessories such as an iPod dock, CD player and USB/card input.

The principle difference between the two radios that I can see is the old one has a 'proper' extendible and multidirectional aerial whereas the newer one just has a bit of wire sticking out its back.  Is there any way to improve the newer radio so that I can receive more stations?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Improving DAB Radio Reception
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 15:09 »
Not a very elegant solution Gill, but try extending the aerial by adding more wire.  In the olden days that was normal practice for picking up Radio Luxembourg.  8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 15:50 »
I also have two like that, Gill, and find the same problems, but as long as they can both pick up Radio 2 and Planet Rock, I'm happy.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 17:36 »
some of these docs do come with a little and quite often well hidden port to  attach and aerial too. What is the make?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 18:06 »
It's an Hitachi AXM209UK Slim DAB Micro System with docking for iPod.  I've got the instruction manual in front of me and I can't see another aerial socket on the parts diagram, nor can I see one on the actual radio itself.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 19:02 »
Why is it an Hitachi, but a hospital?  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 20:13 »
Damn phone.   ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 20:44 »
The other inelegant solution Gill is to attach the tiny aerial tail to an aluminium dish (that's why they invented blu-tak) and that will act as a satellite dish and amplify the signal.  Sadly these techniques really do work so there is no excuse to take a sledgehammer to the thing and smash it into tiny pieces.  8-)     

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 22:16 »
maybe there is some interference from the power supply, bet it was put in some silly place.. like next to the antenna.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 22:54 »
Damn phone.   ;D

No, it was a serious grammar question.  ;D  They both begin with H, so why AN Hitachi, not A Hitachi? 

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 22:57 »
Oh I see what you mean.  Good question.  :laugh:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 23:13 »
'H' is pronounced 'Aitch'.  Cue Pedants Corner  ;D .

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 23:24 »
That wasn't the question.  ;)  It's to do with the pronoun (?).  You say "She's had a hysterectomy", not AN hysterectomy.  You say, "It's AN honour", not a honour, but that's presumably because the 'Aitch' is silent.  So, I'm not saying it's incorrect, but why AN Hitachi, not A Hitachi, and why A hospital, not AN hospital?   This will keep me awake tonight!   :bawl:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00 »
I think I'd say an eventhough its probably wrong. I think I mix between the two with the 'aitch'
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 10:24 »
It's called English, Simon, it has a lot of quirks. Usually, the a/an, is based on the sound of the first syllable of the word it precedes. It should be an hotel, though, for example.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum