Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: blu ray burning software query  (Read 3400 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
blu ray burning software query
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:54 »
Hi Chaps, i'm thinking of getting an internal blu ray writer and being a cheapskate i also need some free writing software (the pc the burner will be going in only has nero 7 which won't support BD discs). I did a quick search and there are loads online, but can anyone recommend any software that not only works but that won't riddle my pc with unwanted addons/toolbars etc etc. i thankee  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: blu ray burning software query
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:24 »
Sorry, Dave, I haven't got to the Bluray burning stage yet. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 14:56 »
Yeah, I've never burnt a bluray either. Once DVDs got too small I moved to the cheaper hard disk alternatives - more bang for your buck and all.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 15:29 »
Trouble is the house is full of external hard drives with music, photos, sport and camcorder footage going back decades. You can now get triple layer 100 GB blu ray discs (not cheap admittedly) with four layer on the horizon. Even dual layer will take 50 GB...i'm really tempted ....  :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 15:32 »
Do you really need that capacity often? I mean you can easily get 1TB very small external drives.

There is a revolution with disks just waiting to happen. Heck, we need it with the data rates we deal with at work.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 17:22 »
Do you really need that capacity often? I mean you can easily get 1TB very small external drives.

There is a revolution with disks just waiting to happen. Heck, we need it with the data rates we deal with at work.

When do you ever get time to review your data Sam ?

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 18:33 »
Ive never burnt one but I use Ashampoo Burning Studio for my burning,it does Blu Rays.

but saying that I havent used it for a while so dont know how up to date it is.Its a good piece of software easy to use

mine was the free version but cant remember where I got it from sorry Dave.

http://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp

that link opens a strange list format type page in Firefox  :dunno:

ok in IE

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 18:36 »
and its on offer for a tenner  :o :o :o :o :o

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 13:13 »
Ta Baz, i think i may have some freebie Ashampoo stuff from last year, thanks for reminding me  :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 16:25 »
great hope it works ok.

just out of interest is it esay enough to burn Blu Rays     and how much are the burners

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 15:29 »
great hope it works ok.

just out of interest is it esay enough to burn Blu Rays     and how much are the burners

I'll let you know Baz, it's still in the box at the moment. I got an external burner in the end, in case it doesn't work on a particular pc. I think the burner comes with it's own software but i also have ashampoo as i mentioned, roxio on my new laptop and i've just downloaded the latest incarnation of imgburn which seems to get good reviews, so i should be able to get something working from that lot. The burner (lite on) cost just under £90 from pc world  :woot: seemed like quite a decent price, but time will tell.

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 12:00 »
sounds good.Yeah ive had lite on before and it was ok.May be best to try the software that came with it 1st then the others.

good luck with that then Dave  :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 16:33 »
Well it seems to work fine, in the end i installed imgburn based on lots of good reviews and haven't been disappointed.. Burned a bd-r data disc which plays fine in a Sony blu ray player. Will try some blu ray authoring to produce a proper blu ray video disc next.  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 16:40 »
Good result!  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum