Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A strange one - certain websites not loading  (Read 2623 times)

Offline PhilTheFish

A strange one - certain websites not loading
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:47 »
Hi all,

I'm having a really weird problem at the moment. I've got Sky broadband and usually get a decent service from them. Yesterday the internet started going slow or not working at all. I first noticed it when Firefox wouldn't load up my homepage (BBC News).

An hour or so later I was trying to access itunes app store through my iphone (connected to the wifi) and it wouldn't have it. I don't always get a good 3G signal at home but when I disconnected from the wifi and got 3G, app store worked fine.

I can access other websites on both my laptop and iphone through the wifi but am still having no joy getting BBC or itunes store on either of my devices. I tried a couple of restarts of the wireless router but no joy (Netgear DGN2200)

This ones got me stumped - any thoughts?  :-\

Thanks
Phil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: A strange one - certain websites not loading
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:25 »
Can you access the BBC site via 3G on your phone, Phil?  I'm just wondering if there could be a routing issue with your ISP.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58 »
If you Google the site and come in from that link, does it work, Phil? Can you ping the addresses when you can't reach them.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:44 »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I can access the sites through 3G. I've been in touch with Sky and they advise it must be something on the external network but they can't think of anything. The best they can offer is wait and see if it self rectifies!

AVG just popped up to say it was unable to contact the update server - another affected site!

Makes no difference if I go direct or via a google link.

driving me mad this one...

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 14:15 »
Further update. The problem sorted itself about an hour ago. But now it's back!

Grrrr...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 14:28 »
Sounds like something out of your hands, Phil.  I'd just leave it, enjoy the rest of your day, and hopefully the magical fixit fairy will appear soon.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 14:51 »
Good advice me thinks! Thanks chaps.

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 16:50 »
Right!

The fix-it fairy never showed up so I got back onto Sky! The tech support girl said they were having some issues with Apple products accessing a number of sites (including the ones I was having problems with on the laptop) but couldn't think of a reason why the laptop or desktop wouldn't access them.

She was going to run some diagnostics but stopped when I told her I'd installed my own router (Netgear DGN 2200 which has been working merrily for 6 months with no issues). She advised to reinstall the original router (which I've just done in the last ten minutes).

This is where it gets weird. I can now access BBC site and the others I was having trouble with but am now having trouble accessing others!! Facebook's not playing and I still can't access iStore either on iPhone or laptop.

This one's getting to me!! Any router gurus out there to assist?

Thanks
Phil

UPDATE : BBC website stopped working again - 15 minutes after router change!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 16:56 by PhilTheFish »

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 16:58 »
I'd have though it was their routing table that was up. Do you notice particular sites that require SSL causing problems? (facebook would be one of those).

I'd suggest you run traceroute or something like that if you can. This will allow you to figure out where you are losing the chain. I expect you will be nicely able to get somewhere within 'sky's network' and then it dies.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 16:59 »
I wonder if there is a dodgy cable or they have a dodgy server not too far from you.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 16:48 »
Sky have finally admitted that it's a widespread problem on their network. The amount of sites we're unable to access is growing rapidly and it's affecting the Manchester and Liverpool areas (and maybe more).

They're working on the fix now.

Phil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 17:25 »
:thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum