Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Block a device (temporarily) from accessing router? Possible?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline PhilTheFish

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to control access of certain devices within the household accessing the internet via our wireless router at certain times.

The aim is to be able to stop the kids xbox and other devices accessing the router when the (bad) parent (me!) doesn't want them to - at night once they're (supposedly) in bed.

Is this possible? I've got a Netgear DGN2200 router.

Thanks
Phil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I'm not familiar with the router, Phil, but if it's possible, I guess you would need to set (firewall) rules for the device(s) IP(s) that you want to limit access to the network.  Each connected device should have it's own IP address, and hopefully, the Netgear has the ability to set rules independently for each IP.  Whether it allows for timed access, is probably the crucial point.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
You can set rules with a mac address

You can block the equipment or set times it can be online

Look under rules and set it for mac address but be carefull what machine you block or you wont be able to get back to the router
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
You'll need to navigate to something like http://192.168.0.1/ and login to your router and in there you should find lots of useful options for doing just this.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum