Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Allocate hard drive space  (Read 1853 times)

Offline PhilTheFish

Allocate hard drive space
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:51 »
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Netbook running windows xp which has a 160gb hard drive. The hard drive is split into C: (which has all the windows software and document folders), and D: (which uses around 10gb for windows recovery etc.). They're both set up for 80gb each.

How do I allocate the spare 70gb to the C: drive?

Thanks
Phil

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Allocate hard drive space
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:05 »
Hi, Phil

Assuming that you aren't intending to delete both partitions (and lose all your data in the process) you need to use some partitioning software.  Try this:

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15 »
Dave,

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the software but am having a problem getting the partitioning how I want it.

I previously had two drives C: and D: both partitioned to 80gb each. I used the software to reduce the size of D: down to 10gb which left me 70gb spare. I tried to merge the spare 70gb into C: but it wouldn't let me. I tried naming it E: and then merging with C:, but again no joy.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Phil

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 13:04 »
Hmm, I used it to create an extra partition D: on my brother's PC who only had C: .  Not sure how you would do that, but there is a guide at:

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/merge-partition.htm

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 17:58 »
Dave,

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the software but am having a problem getting the partitioning how I want it.

I previously had two drives C: and D: both partitioned to 80gb each. I used the software to reduce the size of D: down to 10gb which left me 70gb spare. I tried to merge the spare 70gb into C: but it wouldn't let me. I tried naming it E: and then merging with C:, but again no joy.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Phil

Dont merge c& and 70 gb partician

Delete the spare 70 gb partician

And enlarge the  C partician

This will work

do not move Cor D or you will be locked out

Just enlarge C
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum