Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: S.M.A.R.T. Capable But Disabled  (Read 6665 times)

Offline gagairish

• New Registration
S.M.A.R.T. Capable But Disabled
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:47 »
Hey guys,

I reformatted my computer yesterday as the computer restarted in the process of the instalment I got the message S.M.A.R.T. Capable but disabled and my computer would just stop at this message, I have tried everything I can think could give this error but still no progress I have enabled the S.M.A.R.T. through the bios by unplugging HDD then getting into it. Others have said it can be faulty ram which I have tried and isn't the problem I have had another HDD working on my computer also i do not think that the hard drive is nakerd because people have seemed to get it working but haven't posted the solution please if anyone knows what this I would be very grateful if you could share it with me.

Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: S.M.A.R.T. Capable But Disabled
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 13:42 »
1.  :welcome:

2.  Which version of Windows is this?

3.  What was the reason for the reformat?  Were there already problems that made this necessary? 

4.  Can you get into the BIOS while the drive is installed?  I wonder if SMART has not been enabled without the drive present. 

I believe SMART errors usually relate to drive or RAM issues, or potential issues, so if you can enable it, and are still getting errors, I'd advise a full backup as a priority, if the drive  contains data you need.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline gagairish

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 19:09 »
Thanks for the reply,

I am running windows 7 ultimate, I reformatted because my drive was getting a little out of control with junk I didn't needs and I thought was time to get rid of it all and no I cant get into the bios whilst the drive is installed, but when I enable smart it gives me the message, S.M.A.R.T. capable status Ok!. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 20:03 »
I'm puzzled as to why you can't access the BIOS with the drive installed, as I think you should be able to.  :-\

So, just to clarify, the SMART status is now enabled and reporting as 'OK', but the machine still won't start?  Just to check, you don't have any external hard drives connected and powered on while you're booting?  That can sometimes stall the boot process.

Other than that, I can only guess that perhaps Windows hasn't installed properly, or the hard drive is faulty, or not connected correctly.  It would be useful if you could get into the BIOS, to check the boot sequence. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 20:06 by Simon »
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 20:09 »
Another thought, this might be worth a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum