Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Crash-proof computer created by London researchers  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Crash-proof computer created by London researchers
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:33 »
Researchers at University College London are working on a computer that can repair itself to prevent crashes – instantly recovering and fixing corrupted data.

In a report in the New Scientist, the researchers explain that their computer is based on the chaos of the natural world, which marks a significant break from the linear way in which conventional computers work through sets of instructions.

Instead of working through inputs from each program running on a PC to reach a goal, the "systemic" self-repairing computer mimics the way nature reacts to challenges.

"Its processes are distributed, decentralised and probabilistic. And they are fault tolerant, able to heal themselves,” said UCL computer scientist Peter Bentley. "A computer should be able to do that."

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380020/crash-proof-computer-created-by-london-researchers#ixzz2LFm7YbUr
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
Re: Crash-proof computer created by London researchers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 14:26 »
Bring it to my house for tests
They will have it crashed within 20 minutes  :hehe:
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Crash-proof computer created by London researchers
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 20:33 »
Getting mentioned in New Scientist  is always the kiss of death.  It will never see the light of day.   :laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum