Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy’s toy  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
So how did I come to strap a GoPro camera to a remote control helicopter?

Play Video

At the recent National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) show in Las Vegas, I was walking down an aisle between two large stands, and felt my hair being gently rustled by a powerful draft from above. Looking up, I saw a quad helicopter sitting a few feet above my head. It was perfectly stable, and under the control of someone off in the distance. It gently, and oh so accurately moved down the hallway, turned right and came to a landing.

Now remote control helicopters are not new. And ones that talk to your iPhone or iPad aren’t new either. Indeed, I bought the AR.Drone when it first shipped. It gave me two live camera feeds back to my iPad, and the facility to record the video. The only problem was that it was rubbish.

device was a pain in the neck to operate, relying on subtle movements of on-screen touch controls. The video was even worse quality. And it was almost completely unstable if you tried to use it outdoors with even a moderate breeze.  I tried a few times, and then gave up. It has been sitting in the cupboard ever since.

So, I was intrigued by this serenely stable newcomer. Of course, flying indoors is a lot easier than outdoors. But after I’d trundled over to the DJI Innovations stand, I found people who really understood the issues. They make proper flight-control systems for proper grown-up devices. Comparison with the AR.Drone could not be more stark.

The model in question, the Phantom, isn’t cheap at around £500, but this gives you everything you need: GPS satellite control, barometers for measuring height, compasses for direction and so forth. It is a real techno-feast.

Better still, it has a mount underneath where I could mount the new GoPro 3 Black Edition camera. The combination was too tempting to resist.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/05/08/gopro-camera-strapped-to-a-remote-control-helicopter-the-ultimate-boys-toy/#ixzz2T4XDVYaM
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Handy for filming neighbours sunbathing topless.   :devil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum