Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 arrives!  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Windows 8.1 arrives!
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:50 »
Microsoft is releasing the Windows 8.1 update for its flagship operating system on Thursday.

The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.

In particular, the update restores the start button and allows a computer to boot up with a traditional desktop interface.

The launch comes at a critical time for Microsoft as it seeks a new boss, with PC sales experiencing a long decline.

Windows 8 sought to bridge the gap between touchscreen devices, such as tablets and smartphones, and more traditional form laptops and desktop machines. As such it had an interface built of tiles that could be tapped or swiped to open applications.

However, many people found the tiled interface did not work well for some of the things they were used to doing with a computer.

The changes in 8.1 include:

• start button - tapping once on this brings up the tiled interface and a long press opens up system controls

• desktop mode - lets people avoid the tiled interface entirely

• keyboard shortcuts - removes the need to toggle between different on-screen keyboards when typing numbers and letters

• gesture control - some applications, such as those for cooking, can now be paged through without touching a screen

• tile sizing - the blocks on the touchscreen interface can be in one of four sizes

• web browsing - Windows 8 machines will now display separate web pages side by side

A host of other changes, including better support for multi-tasking and improved links to Microsoft's Xbox game console, are also in the update.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Windows 8.1 arrives!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 15:29 »
I'll wait until they get it right with Windows 9.   :D

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 17:23 »
I for one will be updating my spare desktop as soon as W8.1 goes live and if it's anything like last year changing from W7 to W8 it will most likely be on my main computer straight away.   ;D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 18:33 »
It was live from midday today.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 18:47 »
Downloading onto spare desktop and laptop as we type. If all goes to plan it will go on main computer later.  8-) ;D

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 22:32 »
It loaded fine on my main desktop and my laptop but not on my back up desktop coming up with the error 0xc1900101-0x40017 and restoring to windows 8. tried it a couple of times (Windows Defender was running on this machine so disabled it). Looking on google a number of people have had the same problem.   :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 23:16 »
Odd that it loads fine on two machines but fails on the third.  Is there anything on the third machine that isn't on the others?  I guess I'm thinking about security / anti virus software.  :dunno:

By the way, is this like a big Windows Update, or is it actually a complete new upgrade, ie, a new installation over the top of the old one?

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 23:38 »
The only two things that are different are windows defender and classic shell are as far as I can see . I will uninstall Classic Shell tomorrow and try again.

it is more like a new installation than a update.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50 »
My guess at the culprit would be Classic Shell, whatever that is, as the name suggests that it's some sort of theme or style adaptation, which 8.1 may not be compatible with. 

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 18:20 »
On my main computer I have misplaced all my appointments and when I clock on iCloud it says "The set of folders can not be opened, the information folder can not be opened"  But I can access my calendar on the iPad.  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 18:49 »
Can you see the folders in Outlook, Den?

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 18:50 »
Yes. But when I click on the iCloud folders that's when the message comes up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 19:01 »
So, how about uploading them from the original folders to iCloud again?

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 19:43 »
As the information is on the calendar on the iPad I tried backing up to the iCloud but still the same. As it wont let me open the folder in Oultlook I don't know were to go from here. Just tried my laptop and it will not let me open Outook iCloud calendar on there either.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 19:47 by Den »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 19:58 »
Sorry, neither do I, Den.  I'm even more in the dark, not being a user of iCloud.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum