Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Fun with my router  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Fun with my router
« on: June 02, 2003, 15:23 »
I just thought that I would share what I have been doing for the last few days with you all as it may help someone one day  :-*

I got a new ADSL wireless router with an integral modem on Wednesday,didnt have time to do anything but check all the stuff was in the box that was supposed to be that day.Connected it up in Thursday afternoon and set it all up.The network from PC to PC was straight forward with both PCs seeing and sending to each other within a matter of minutes (XP Pro on both PCs),connecting to the net proved somewhat more difficult   ???
I spent at least two hours being helped by a Adept via the remote assistance feature of XP and messenger (never used it before,it looks very useful but was scary seeing my PC doing stuff by itself  :o ).Then I disconnected my modem and connected the router.No way did it want to open IE or anything net related even though it said it was connected in the status page and apeared set up correctly.
I ran the diagnostic test and it said that the Ping Primary DNS was N/A,checking the help feature this said it meant the DNS wasnt configured,but I knew it was.
Brian (Lobo) came round and spent 3 hours trying to sort it out to no avail.
I tried various things again on Friday,a few hours in the afternoon and a few more in the evening with more help via messenger and e mails and telephone to various people  without any more success  :'(
Being a stubborn person and a bit of a night owl I had another go at it at 3am Friday night/Saturday morning. I reset it to the factory settings set it all up again rechecked it frequently,re read the manual at each stage and at around 4-45am admitted defeat   :'(
I connected on my old ADSL modem and e mailed Adept and Brian some screen  shots of the diagnostic test and a few Ping Tests that I had done and explained what I had done that night/morning,then went to bed.
I got up and around noon I connected (via Modem) to see if anyone had had any ideas.Adept had replied asking me to do IPCONFIG/ALL from the command prompt and tell him what it said as he said all the screen shots indicated that it was working apart from the PING PRIMARY DNS N/A.
I tried that command while connected on my modem to see what it should say as I hadnt done it before then disconnected it and connected the router.
I did the IPCONFIG thing and it looked ok,then to my amazement I noticed that messenger had signed me in and I opened IE and the pages came up   :)
Its worked absolutely fine since then but if I run the diagnostic test it still says that it cant ping the primary DNS  ???
The only thing I can think of is that although the router had been rebooted a few times and switched off and on a few times,my PC hadnt.So maybe if I had rebooted the PC around 3-30am that morning it may have worked straight away   :-*

Thanks once again to Adept and Brian for all their help  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Fun with my router
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 16:12 »
That must have caused some nail-biting moments Sandra.  Glad you managed to get it all sorted out in the end.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 17:32 »
Well it baffled better people than me Clive namely Adept and Lobo (In PC terms anyway  ;) ).
I even had a friend contacting someone in the USA who had ADSL networking set up through a router to see if he could help as well  :o
If anyone is after an ADSL wireless router with 4 ethernet ports and an integrated modem it seems to have quite a good specification (I checked with Adept before I bought it so its his fault really  :P )and he reckoned it appeared as good as others at £130 plus.
This one is the AWR51 from www.ebuyer.com at £79-91 including VAT and postage  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 19:11 »
Well I've got a similar setup to yourself and I had it up and running within a few minutes.   ;D

Adept

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 19:14 »

Well I've got a similar setup to yourself and I had it up and running within a few minutes.   ;D

You fibber Clive :o, it took me us at least 10 minutes to get it going ;D ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 19:16 »
I think I was making the coffee at the time.  :heehee:

Adept

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 19:18 »
And very nice coffee it was too ;) :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 19:24 »
Why thank you kind sir.   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 19:29 »
So thats what was wrong I was drinking tea not coffee,it would have bees sorted in 5 minutes with coffee  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum