Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Flitcroft Steps Down as Chorley Manager  (Read 2903 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Flitcroft Steps Down as Chorley Manager
« on: July 09, 2015, 18:30 »
Garry Flitcroft has stepped down as manager of Chorley.

Flitcroft, 42, will be replaced by his assistant-manager and former Blackburn Rovers colleague Matt Jansen.

The former boss will still remain involved at Victory Park after accepting a position on the board of directors.

Jansen will be assisted by current coaches Jamie Vermiglio and Jonathan Smith.

Despite a successful first year in the National League North, in which the Magpies suffered a heartbreaking defeat in the play-off final at the hands of Guiseley, Flitcroft has decided to step down due to increasing work demands at his property business Flitcraft.

He replaced Steve Waywell as manager in 2010 and guided the Magpies to two promotions and two Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy final victories.

In a statement, Flitcroft said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in charge but changing business circumstances, and the need to support my lads on their football journey like my dad did for me, have meant I cannot devote the necessary time and commitment into sustaining the club as a leading non-league club and could not work to the standards that I set myself.

“I had to think long and hard over my decision as the club and its supporters have become a big part of my life.

“But in the end, my head had to rule my heart and it was with more than a touch of sadness I had to make the decision to stand down as manager.

“I still plan to be around the club on game days and I look forward to helping wherever I can behind the scenes to get the club to its highest possible level.

“I would like to thank the board of directors who have backed me all the way, all of the players who have come in over the last five seasons, as they have all been outstanding for me and been a massive part of the success I’ve had.

Chorley chairman Ken Wright said: “Garry has done a fantastic job for us and will go down in club history for his success in winning promotion and the LFA trophy.

“We had a meeting with Matt, Jamie and Jon over the weekend.

“Within a short space of time it became very evident that it was the correct decision not to look any further and appoint Matt as Garry’s replacement.”

http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/sport/football/flitcroft-steps-down-as-magpies-boss-1-7339016

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Flitcroft Steps Down as Chorley Manager
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 21:07 »
Is that good or bad news?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 13:28 »
Time will tell, but it's come as a surprise!  Only last month, Flitty had secured his two main targets for transfer and was suggesting he was looking forward to mounting another promotion challenge.  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 17:22 »
Then he flitted off... 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum