Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New printer  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
New printer
« on: September 13, 2016, 21:08 »
After 9 years I have changed my printer. I had a Canon iP6700D printer and it has served me well, the only problem I had is that Canon will not keep old printers up to date with their drivers but at least it would run on a Windows 8 driver. The reason for change is that I am updating my study and wanted to gain desktop space so I am going to let my son have my printer and scanner for his business and have bought a printer/scanner.
The problem I then run into is that Canon no longer make a printer/scanner with a top paper feed as well as a print tray and the only one I could find that came up to the standard I required was the Epson XP-860 which can be run fully on WiFi, has two paper trays and can feed from the top as well.
I have just set it up (it self checks and sets it self up with very little intervention) and it took over an hour but it was well worth the wait as the print quality is superb.  ;D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: New printer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 21:15 »
I wouldn't pay that much for a printer, simply because I don't need to, as my printing requirements are no more than basic.  I also bought a new one recently, a Canon Pixma MG5750, which I got in Currys for £49.99.  It's front loading, which is what I wanted, fully WiFi, and the print quality is more than adequate.  My only small gripe is that the paper feed doesn't hold all that much paper - probably about 100 sheets of 80gsm A4 at the most - but at the rate I use it, that would last me weeks anyway.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 21:35 »
Question then to you guys which bugs me with every printer I have haha......original or compatable cartridges, if thats what you use.

These days its getting cheaper to just buy a new printer every time  ::)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 21:47 »
For 9 years I always used compatable cartridges with my Canon as I felt that the money I saved would buy a new printer every few years with the money I saved.

I have just ordered a full set plus a extra black for the Epson (under £20 inc VAT and postage) and if they are as good as the ones I used on the Canon (same company) I wont be able to tell the difference.  :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 22:38 »
I've also got a Canon Pixma MG5750.  Very noisy but quite adequate.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 23:51 »
I've also got a Canon Pixma MG5750.  Very noisy but quite adequate.

Yes, it is remarkably noisy!  There is supposed to be a "Quiet Mode", but I've not tried it and can't imagine what it does.  Did they design it to clatter along like a derailed train, unless you particularly want it to be quieter?  ::)

As for compatible cartridges, I've used Choice Stationary for years, and have never had a problem with their cartridges.

http://www.choicestationery.com/
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:45 »
I have used this company for a few years now. Their service is very good and never had a bad cartridge.

http://www.cartridgediscount.co.uk

As I stated before, the main reason to change was that I required more space on my new desks and the printer with the Canon scanner was taking up to much room so I bit the bullet.  ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:28 »
Both better prices than I pay with Amazon.   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 19:20 »
For 9 years I always used compatable cartridges with my Canon as I felt that the money I saved would buy a new printer every few years with the money I saved.

Several years ago, Hewlet Packard had a promotion where you bought a full set of their own cartridges and the printer came free.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 22:15 »
 :laugh: 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum