Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 2000 Server, DHCP and DDNS  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Yimpster

Windows 2000 Server, DHCP and DDNS
« on: June 10, 2003, 13:44 »
Hi peeps,

First time on here and it seems that you guys are very learned.  I would be grateful if you could lend a hand to a poor unfortunate who has waded slightly out of their depth.

I am running a Win2k Server SP3 PDC.  It is a clean install.  I have installed DNS and DHCP as there are approximately 12 XP clients due to attach in the next 24/48 hours.

I understand that DNS on the server needs to be correctly configured
for XP clients to attach quickly and smoothly.  At present logons are taking in excess of 4 minutes, even with a clean/new profile.

I have configured DHCP server to dynamically update the DNS server but there are no new entries in the console to show any new hosts.  

Clients do attach albeit very slowly and there are no error messages displayed that hint at any failure.

Any ideas??

Many thanks in advance for those that took the time to read this and even more to those that respond.

Cheers

Adam

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Windows 2000 Server, DHCP and DDNS
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 13:49 »
Hi Adam,welcome aboard.
I am glad you posted that as I hope to be setting a server up myself soon so am looking forward to someone providing the answer.
I think we may have to wait for Adept or Lobo to get on line as I cant think of any other of our members who will have had experience of servers (until you sort yours and I get mine up and running one day  ;) )  :-*

Offline Yimpster

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 13:53 »
Thanks for the prompt response.  I'll gladly wait for someone that could put me on the right track....my brain is thumping...*ouch*

Adept

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 15:01 »
Hi Yimpster :welcome:

This is possibly a problem with your workstation setup rather than a server problem.

In my experience, 2000 and XP workstations take a long time to log in if the DNS settings are set for Internet rather than local network use. i.e. they are set to an ISP's DNS settings.

Check that the DNS setting on each XP worstation is set to the IP address of your server.

From a Command Prompt type ipconfig /all This will list the IP settings for the network adapters in the workstation.

Offline Yimpster

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 15:17 »
Thanks for the response, i'm pretty sure it's server related though as i've checked, checked and triple checked the workstation settings on 2 separate machines.  I'm reckon it's in the guts of win2k DNS but where i do not know.  The only DNS entries on the clients are that of the DNS server.  Please help!! :)

Any other ideas gratefully appreciated.

Offline Yimpster

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 16:02 »
Got a feeling i've made a boo-boo!! I think there's already a domain name in existence on the net with the one i'm using.  (My client didn't tell me about it!!)  Anyway - i reckon it's gotta be easier to start again with a new domain name and see how i go - rather than carry on flogging a dead horse...

i'll keep u posted :)

Offline Yimpster

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 17:08 »
It's official - it was definitely related to the external domain.  I've reinstalled win2k server with a different domain name and all is working perfectly!  DOH!!

Cheers for your help guys....see ya around

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 17:13 »
Glad to hear you sorted it out Yimpster and thanks for the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 18:25 »
Glad you got it sorted Adam.  Don't be a stranger - we have lots of fun here, as well as helping folks with their PCs!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum