Technical Help & Discussion > Broadband, Networking, PC Security, Internet & ISPs

WiFi extender

(1/5) > >>

Clive:
My son has bought a 4 storey house which has BT fibre at 1000mbps.  Unfortunately the signal is very weak by the time it gets to the third floor and they stream most most of their tv.  Can anyone suggest a reliable WiFi extender he can use?  I can see prices range from £22 to £125.

daveeb:

--- Quote from: Clive on June 02, 2017, 21:14 ---My son has bought a 4 storey house which has BT fibre at 1000mbps.  Unfortunately the signal is very weak by the time it gets to the third floor and they stream most most of their tv.  Can anyone suggest a reliable WiFi extender he can use?  I can see prices range from £22 to £125.

--- End quote ---

I thought BT boasted the best wifi range in the UK. I've no experience of wifi boosters but here at daveeb towers we use homeplugs and they work brilliantly (only works for the whole area if the entire house is on the same ring main).
Failing that when i was with O2 they offered a free extender if the signal was poor, so maybe see what BT can do, if your son isn't already in a contract with them then he's in the driving seat.

Simon:
I use BT's own WiFi extender, which seems to work well for me, and is relatively inexpensive.  This isn't my exact model, but I've had mine a couple of years, so they've probably updated it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D84GVN0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_wKEmzbQ671XHC

Clive:
Thanks for the ring circuit information, he has three! So that option is out.  Thanks for the BT link Simon, but do you know how it works?

Simon:
Yes, you plug it into a wall power socket, about half way between the router and the furthest point in the house that you want the WiFi to reach.  Once it's then set up with the router, it will pick up the signal and boost it to extend the range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version