Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ  (Read 3090 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ
« on: December 28, 2017, 19:14 »
Santa brought my husband a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ telescope.  Tomorrow he's getting an adapter to connect his DSLR camera to it.

Is anyone here familiar with this telscope?  He's a complete novice to astronomy despite watching "The Sky At Night" avidly for decades.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 19:50 »
Not me, but I know a man who might be.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 15:28 »
Celestron is a good make and nice quality and a 118mm mirror translates to approximately 4.5" which will allow you to see star clusters, galaxies and planets.  It has probably come with a number of different eyepieces from 6mm to 20 mm but the 20mm will be the most useful.  The 6mm eyepiece is used for looking at markings on the surface of planets but you have to find the planet using the 20mm eyepiece first.  You can buy a 40mm eyepiece which will give an even wide field of view.  The most important step is to set up the finderscope which should be done in daylight possibly using a TV aerial in the distance.  Using a telescope is quite difficult and will require perseverance but to see the Pleiades star cluster or the Andromeda galaxy - both of which are visible this time of year - is such a pleasure.  If he would like to be added to my mailing lists please let me know. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:54 »
Thanks, Clive - I'll ask him  :).
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 20:14 »
  Using a telescope is quite difficult and will require perseverance but to see the Pleiades star cluster or the Andromeda galaxy - both of which are visible this time of year - is such a pleasure.  If he would like to be added to my mailing lists please let me know.

Indeed it is... ask my A-level physics class today who were very very confused by the concept of a Barlow lens....  :facepalm:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 20:31 »
They wouldn't be the only ones!   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 22:55 »
It's an inexpensive eyepiece extension that doubles magnification.  Best avoided in my opinion.   :D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 16:48 »
It's an inexpensive eyepiece extension that doubles magnification.  Best avoided in my opinion.   :D

Why?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 20:11 »
Because it adds another lens through which light has to travel and that means less light will reach the eye.  Magnification is not a good thing as far as observing the heavens is concerned because it's harder to find what you are looking for and the object will be dimmer or less clear.  A Barlow lens adds length to an eyepiece and can unbalance the tube.  It can make the telescope unwieldy.  The telescope will be easier to use without it but make sure you use your least powerful eyepiece.  The telescope might have come with two or three eyepieces, say 6mm, 12mm and 24mm.  The 6 is the most powerful and the 24 the least powerful.  Start off with the latter and try and forget about the smaller diameter eyepiece for the time being.  Start off by looking at the Moon which is best viewed at first quarter or before.  Never ever use it to look at the Sun or blindness can occur. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 21:03 »
Barlow's are good for stable observations of bright objects.. you know Jupiter, Moon... windows.   o:)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 22:13 »
 :arf:  ;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27 »
Thanks, Clive  :)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 23:41 »
The magistrate told me I wasn't allowed to have another telescope.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 23:43 »
 :)x

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum