Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Motherboard and maximum CPU speed  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Motherboard and maximum CPU speed
« on: June 13, 2003, 16:06 »
I am in the process of trying to find the cheapest/best option of upgrading a friends PC.

One thing that has always puzzled me is why does a specific motherboard only take a certain range of CPU speeds.
What is the limitting factor,assuming that they all have a 133 FSB and the same type of CPU ie slot 1 ,socket 478,socket A etc.
Is it the BIOS or the chipset or something else ?
If its the BIOS can the BIOS be upgraded at a later date so that a mobo that will only take a maximum AMD XP 2100+ today will be able to take an AMD XP 2400+ in a few months time ?
If it is something else,can that be upgraded or modified somehow to enable a faster CPU later ?

Answers (preferably not on a postcard  ;D ) before 9am tomorrow please,as that may be the time we need to decide what we are buying  :-*

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:Motherboard and maximum CPU speed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 16:19 »
A lot of the time the maximum is out of date, take my other PC's mobo for example, it has a 2000XP although the box and manual say 1600 max. I think it has something to do with the hardware. For a cheap CPU I'd suggest www.ebuyer.co.uk as they have a sale or something on £80 for a 2600XP :o
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 16:36 »
Thanks Robo we have been looking on there as they seem to be very competative.
My preference is to get a mobo with a capability of 3ghz or more,even if that puts the price left over for a cpu of a lower speed of only possibly between 1.5 and 2 ghz.
As what costs £X now will be £0.5X in a few months  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 23:52 »
Answers (preferably not on a postcard  ;D ) before 9am tomorrow please,as that may be the time we need to decide what we are buying  :-*

You'll make yourself ill getting up at that time in the morning, Sandra!   ;) :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 00:52 »
I know its scary isnt it  :o

In fact I will have to be up at 8am as hes coming at 9am ish  ::)

Hardly seems worth going to bed so I may do an all nighter that way I wont oversleep  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 16:46 »
Just in case only Robo and Simon saw this thread I will "re open it" as,although the deadline has now passed,I would like to know the answer please  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 17:01 »
What was the question again?   ???  Oh, just read it - no good asking me Sandra!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 11:49 »
There is not much point in look for a mobo that can take more than your putting into it now as Athlon64 is coming out this month hopefully  ;D I found a 2400XP, cooler and mobo bundle on E-bay for £90 a few weeks back  :o

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 12:04 »
Generally the BIOS is the main factor in the CPU speed.

The BIOS will request information from the CPU to make sure it knows how to interact with its architecture. The cip responds with a certain language, which the BIOS translates.

The newer CPU's may have a slightly different architecture, and therefore may speak a different language. Sometimes the BIOS will say that you have a 2000+ XP CPU, and another BIOS will say you have a Athlon 1650 Mhz or whatever, simply because the command to say what the chip is cannot be read by that BIOS... follow me so far?

A BIOS update if available will usually support the highest available chip at your mainboards FSB speed.

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 11:24 »
There are limiting factors as quirks of the mobo architecture and the amount of FSB multipliers available.

As you know, chips use the FSB (MHz) with a multiplier to achieve the xGHz speed. Also the memory, PCI slots etc use the FSB speed with multipliers and dividers to achieve their running speed.

In order to get something that can be used later with a more powerful chip, ensure it can be capable of using the latest technology (ignoring 64bit processors for the minute) so something that will take an AMD XP3000+ will work with a 2400+ now but can have a 3000+ dropped in later (when they are as cheap as candy)

A mobo that can take a faster processor will almost certainly be able to take the faster memory. And to be quite honest I think going for more and faster memory with a lesser processor will be better than trying to get the fastest processor you can for your money. You can always overclock it  ;) ;) :P

Hope this helps Sandra
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2003, 13:03 »

In order to get something that can be used later with a more powerful chip, ensure it can be capable of using the latest technology (ignoring 64bit processors for the minute) so something that will take an AMD XP3000+ will work with a 2400+ now but can have a 3000+ dropped in later (when they are as cheap as candy)

A mobo that can take a faster processor will almost certainly be able to take the faster memory. And to be quite honest I think going for more and faster memory with a lesser processor will be better than trying to get the fastest processor you can for your money. You can always overclock it  ;) ;) :P

That was my idea Bat thanks, unfortunately that particular project has been shelved for the time being  :(

I would never overclock as most CPUs over 2ghz are plenty fast enough for most of todays needs and why push something to the limit unnecessarily  ;)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 18:33 »
My next PC will be an AMD64 :D

Example:
Microsoft Works

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum