Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New PC For Image Processing?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: New PC For Image Processing?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 19:12 »
I've got to be honest, it was December 2017 when I did my upgrade and I can't quite remember now what the SATA to USB was for, but logically, I guess it's so that the clone can be done before removing the existing hard drive.  Doesn't the new SSD connect via SATA?  So, you need the lead to connect the new SSD via USB to do the initial clone. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 19:17 »
I see what you're saying though.  Could you install the new SSD and connect it to the old hard drive via SATA, then do the clone?  To that, I'm afraid I don't know the answer.  All I know is, I would have used the simplest and least risky method.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 19:19 »
I'm just adding things as I recall them here, but another reason I probably used the USB method is that I don't have any spare internal SATA ports, so I couldn't have connected both drives internally at the same time.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 18:36 »
SSD fitted successfully  :) .

The system does seem faster.  When I started programs such as the Gimp and Affinity Photo before, I almost had time to put on a brew while they loaded.  They're much quicker now.

I'll wait a little while, then format my redundant HHD and use it for data storage.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 19:45 »
Well done!  I'm glad it all went well.   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 20:07 »
Actually, it didn't!  At first I couldn't clone the HDD so I 'chatted' to the online Crucial helpline in order to sort things out.  The representative couldn't have been more helpful and we managed to figure out that the brand new USB3 to SATA cable I bought on eBay wasn't working.  Grrrr.  (It only cost a couple of quid so it's not worth following up.)  Anyway, I was able to mount the SSD in my pooter and clone directly.

Now that the cloning has succeeded, I've formatted the old HDD  :nerves: and directed all my data links (such as Documents, Pictures, Music, Video and Downloads) to it.  I do a lot of reading and writing to data as I'm working on it, so I think it's best to keep my data off the HHD as much as possible in order to prolong its life.

Thank you to all at PC Pals who have helped me through this procedure, especially Simon.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 21:12 »
How old is the old hard drive, Gill?  If it's more than about 5-6 years old, I'd be a little cautious of storing anything too valuable on it, as it's probably been worked quite hard as a system drive, and they can give out.  I have no doubt that you already backup your essential files, but as HDDs are relatively cheap, I'd consider replacing it in due course, as it would be easy enough just to transfer the data from it to a new HDD, while it's still in good working order.  :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 22:55 »
It's only a couple of years old, little used compared to some HDDS, and I have all the important data backed up.  Seventeen external HDDs... I take my back ups seriously!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 23:53 »
Seventeen?!  :o  You must have backups of backups of backups!   :laugh:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 01:30 »
Errrr.... Eighteen.  I've just found another that was lost under some egg trays.  :blush:

You wouldn't believe the number of television programmes and films I've recorded/downloaded over the years!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum