Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: File and folder sharing  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
File and folder sharing
« on: June 16, 2003, 12:28 »
I have recently set up a LAN using a router.
I created a folder on both PCs which I called Shared1 on no 1 PC and Shared2 on no 2 PC.
I can place files into Shared1 from no 1 PC and drag them from that folder anywhere on no 2 PC using no 2 PC but I cant get permission to move stuff to Shared1 from no 2 PC or anywhere else on no 1 PC.
The same happens with my no 2 PC but in reverse.

Is this how it should be or should either PC be able to move backwards and forwards from any shared folder that I have given access to on the network  ???

Adept

Re:File and folder sharing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 18:50 »
Where are Shared1 and Shared2 in the filesystem Sandra?

If you have them inside a folder which already has security on it (such as "My Documents") - that security will override any permissions you have given the shares.

I also find it helps to have the same username and password on box PCs.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 19:53 »
Both are on my desktop at the moment Adept which I think on XP is probably inside the "documents and settings" folder as for some reason XP does weird stuff like that doesnt it ::)
I have tried with allowing all my C drive on both PCs to be shared too with the same result  ???

Adept

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 20:13 »
They definitely shouldn't be on your desktop Sandra. XP security will disallow guest access to any of your Documents and Settings files.

Put the folder in the root of your C: drive and share it. Make sure you give your users the permissions they need to Change and read the files in the folder.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 22:53 »
Ok that sounds resonable,silly XP always wants to take control(is it male whereas 98 was female as that did what I told it to do  ???)
Thanks Adept once again  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum