Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mini Computers  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Mini Computers
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:39 »
Recently bought one of these Mini Computers-

https://www.vjmcomputers.co.uk/product/gigabyte-brix-mini-pc-quad-core-bxbt-1900-4gb-ram-480gb-ssd-windows-10-professional/

Switched over to this from Mac Mini, but dont really know if I like it. I had forgotten about all the frequent updates incurred in running Windows. Also crashes and freezing-dont get that with Mac! Mac seems to run smoothly with not many problems ! Might go back to it-pondering on it at the moment
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Mini Computers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57 »
Windows 10 is inherently evil.  Were it not for the hassle of transferring and converting lots of files and programs, I would switch to a Mac tomorrow.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 13:09 »
I know I seem to stand out in the crowd but I love Windows 10. The main updates are twice a year and the monthly ones are only top ups.

I have used Microsoft from Windows 95 onwards and think Windows 10 Pro is the best ever. I hate my iPad though.  :)x
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 13:36 »
When you think of the issues we had 20 years ago, all computer OSs seem to have advanced dramatically.  I think Windows has always been bloated but the fact remains that it has the widest range of available quality programs.  I have a few IOS devices and whilst they function fine, they don't have the versatility of Windows.

For sheer ease of use, though, it's hard to beat Linux (I use Mint).  As with IOS, I think Linux is limited by it's availability of quality programs but nowadays many open source programs are better than their commercial equivalents.  My real gripe with Linux is that you need to be a coding wizard to connect peripheral devices.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:30 »
Windows 10 is inherently evil.  Were it not for the hassle of transferring and converting lots of files and programs, I would switch to a Mac tomorrow.

Simon it wouldn't be much hassle, Macs have an easy transfer programme that you connect to your Windows PC via your router and automatically moves everything over for you. You just tick the boxes of folders you want transferred and go and have a coffee and its all done! Ive taken the plunge and switched back to my Mini Mac- I am far happier to ditch the crashing and freezing  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:47 »
I'll give it some thought, DG.  Can I ask what made you buy the Windows 10 mini PC in the first place?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 22:34 »
I'll give it some thought, DG.  Can I ask what made you buy the Windows 10 mini PC in the first place?

To be honest I don't know why I bought it! Boredom I think. Retirement breeds boredom-saw it advertised and thought that looks good. More money wasted. Id forgotten what a pain Windows was  :crazy: :crazy:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 00:15 »
I'm an expert at wasting money - join the club!   ;D

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37 »
Hello Mate- Have you thought anymore about switching to Mac. You can get some real quality ones refurbished . Im happy about switching back My Mac is superb. Wouldn't want to go back to Windows now.  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 09:53 »
Hi DG, no, I think I'll stick to what I've got for now.  That said, I did have a problem the other day and my Windows 10 laptop needed completely restoring, which has taken a couple of days.   :facepalm:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 16:35 »
 :nerves:

I've got that to look forward too.

Thank goodness I have a reliable Linux laptop in reserve.

:x:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 11:14 »
Why not take the plunge folks-Mac is the way to go. I hated it at first now its a never ending love affair.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 12:13 »
The software I use isn't compatible with Macs.  If I was going to switch, I'd go to Linux.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 15:30 »
Oh yes I understand-Pity software isn't compatible with all systems. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 18:03 »
Yes, and it would also be quite a considerable additional expense to replace all of my Windows software with Mac versions.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum