Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: No Signal To Monitor  (Read 2822 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
No Signal To Monitor
« on: April 01, 2019, 23:20 »
My monitor told me today that it is not receiving a signal.  I unplugged the cable from the video card and connected it into a VGA socket which goes directly into the motherboard.  Still no signal.  I then tried an older monitor which I knew to be serviceable and found it didn't receive a signal either.  Finally, I connected my original monitor to an older PC and found it worked perfectly well.

A week or so ago I installed a new SSD which seems to have been working fine.

Can anyone help me, please?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: No Signal To Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 23:34 »
If it's been working for a week, then it would seem doubtful that it's anything to do with the SSD, unless somehow you disturbed the graphics card while installing the new drive?  It might be worth popping the case off and checking that the graphics card is seated and connected securely. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:32 »
It's a bit odd that you didn't get a signal from the GFX or the onboard card !
Have all your tests used the same cable from pc to monitor ?
If they did then you almost certainly dislodged something when installing the ssd...tho' i'm not sure what would account for neither working. possibly power supply to mobo?
Is the pc posting / firing up normally ?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:28 »
My tests have used different video cables.  I don’t see how I could have dislodged any cards - they’re miles away from the SSD.  The machine appears to be booting up ok but without a video output it’s difficult to tell.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:50 »
I wonder if your onboard graphics would actually work if you still have the graphics card installed, as when the PC boots it would default to the graphics card.  Maybe remove the graphics card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics and see what happens then?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 13:18 »
Tried that, Simon.  The problem persists although this time I did get some warning beeps on boot up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 13:23 »
OK, so what happens if you reseat the graphics card and try that again?  I have to admit, this is all guesswork as I can't think what else the problem could be, but it does sound strange that both your onboard graphics and your graphics card appear to be affected.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 13:26 »
By the way, the additional beeps are probably just to tell you that there's no graphics card installed.  With any luck, by removing and replacing the graphics card, this may force it to reinstall and that may possibly help.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 20:46 »
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 14:43 »
Reseating the graphics card worked  :).  Many thanks guys.

:thumbs:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 15:35 »
Good news!   :thumb:

See?  Us meatheads are good for something!   ;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 15:59 »
I wouldn't knock anyone for their choice of diet.  It all comes down to what each individual's conscience can stomach.

Literally!

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 19:33 »
Well done Gill!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum