Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Stained Glass Window Photographs  (Read 2501 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Stained Glass Window Photographs
« on: July 25, 2019, 19:53 »
This was a bit of a departure for me... photographing stained glass windows in churches.  Here's a few samples - I'm thinking of using the angelic pictures as Christmas cards this year.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Stained Glass Window Photographs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 21:35 »
Those are wonderful!  You've really captured the images well, with just the right exposure to sustain the black surrounds.  Without wishing to be discrediting, have you photoshopped them at all?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 22:28 »
Cameras don’t see images in the same way as the human eye.  Digtal cameras normally process the images they capture to get the best representation of what the camera’s software engineers believe are realistic.  So if you take a photo and save it to your camera in jpeg format, you’re getting a good approximation of it, not necessarily a realistic representation.

I save my photos to my camera using RAW format, which means that I capture the data exactly as the camera sees it.  I then use photo editing software to create the image exactly as I recall seeing it when I took the photo.  Is this ‘photoshopping’?  Or is this producing faithful images in the same way that Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson did a hundred years ago?

Apart from cropping the images, all I do is set appropriate levels and colour adjustments.  I regard that as being acceptable.  Other photographers do an awful lot more post-processing but I don’t think the worse of them for doing so.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 00:37 »
Well, they're bloody good anyway!   :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 15:22 »
Thanks, Simon.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum