Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Backup Oddity  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Backup Oddity
« on: April 21, 2019, 21:29 »
I only really use my laptop for emails, internet and non-essential tasks, so I've never really backed it up fully before.  Having had a disaster a few months ago, which resulted in having to restore Windows 10, and reinstall all my programs, I decided to invest in an additional 500Gb external hard drive on which to perform a full backup including Windows image.

The backup was done via the on board Windows utility, but strangely, the backup size is much larger than the actual amount of data showing on the laptop hard drive.  The laptop hard drive is 500Gb, which includes the Windows partition, and My Computer shows 252Gb of space remaining, however, the external drive with the new backup on it is showing 384Gb of used space, with only 82Gb remaining.  How is this so?   :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: Backup Oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:24 »
Simon I wonder has it backed up a hidden windows "restore" partition also ?

I think i'd have gone a bit bigger than 500 GB, I just bought a 4 TB WD for £70 something  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:52 »
Yeah, but I only thought it had to backup the capacity of the hard drive, which is only half full.  The hard drive shows total capacity of 463Gb, so that's about 40Gb short of the supposed 500Gb but then they usually fall short anyway.  Not sure if a hidden recovery partition would account for that, but that's still only 40Gb, where has the backup found an extra 130Gb from somewhere.  Unless I'm being particularly thick, it just doesn't make sense.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:02 »
Do you have any compressed folders which may have been expanded in the backup ?
I'm clutching at straws now.  :crazy:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:25 »
There are some compressed folders, but I don't know if the backup would have expanded them.  I may try with another backup utility to see if it does the same thing.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 16:19 »
If you right-click on the Windows Start button and choose Disk Management, a utility will run which shows your partitions.  If this isn't any help, could a utility such as WinDirStat help you to identify what is using your disk?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 17:45 »
Good idea, Gill, I'll try that.  It's not so much a problem, as a curiosity, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 21:15 »
I ran the disk management tool (see below), but it doesn't really account for the extra 130Gb which was backed up.  I assume 'PBR Image' is the hidden partition, but that's less than 10Gb.

I'm going to run another backup utility when I get a spare moment, and see what that comes up with.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:40 »
It's not a secret pron folder is it  :dunno:  :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 11:13 »
 ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 15:18 »
 :facepalm:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 20:50 »
It's not a secret pron folder is it  :dunno:  :D

100%.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 20:53 »
What do you people take me for?  I'm not Welsh!   >:( :o:

So... I've now done another full backup with Macrium Reflect (Free) and this one has almost exactly mirrored the hard drive.   ::)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 21:25 »
Micro$oft strikes again  ::) .

Glad you got it sorted out  :) .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 00:28 »
Micro$oft strikes again  ::)

I wouldn't be surprised, Gill.   :facepalm:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum