Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 10 May update  (Read 9967 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: Windows 10 May update
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 20:26 »
I know that sinking feeling!   :bawl:

That's progress...Microsoft style  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 22:09 »
Honestly, I despair.  My Windows 10 is whinging that it hasn't got the latest update, which I assume is the May one as I delay them.  It downloaded it to 100%, and said it's 'ready', but there was no option to install, so I rebooted and now it's back at 5% downloading the sodding thing again!  And they wonder why people want to stick with Windows 7!   >:(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 11:29 »

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2019, 13:32 »
Honestly, I despair.  My Windows 10 is whinging that it hasn't got the latest update, which I assume is the May one as I delay them.  It downloaded it to 100%, and said it's 'ready', but there was no option to install, so I rebooted and now it's back at 5% downloading the sodding thing again!  And they wonder why people want to stick with Windows 7!   >:(

Have you tried Linux yet Simon ? it's really easy to install these days.
I installed Linux Mint on top of Vista on an old laptop as a trial. Runs faster and more smoothly than Vista ever did (which to be fair isn't that difficult).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 15:07 »
Compatibility, Dave.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 15:11 »
Fair point. I haven't tried a lot of software or hardware with it, although I have read that it is a whole lot better than it used to be at running stuff. It now has loads of drivers built in just like windows.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 15:45 »
I'm dreading January next year, as I've got to make a decision about my main desktop, which is currently very happily running on Windows 7.   :bawl:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 18:28 »
I'm dreading January next year, as I've got to make a decision about my main desktop, which is currently very happily running on Windows 7.   :bawl:

i assume you mean the end of support ? Do you even bother with the updates, i've never updated !

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 20:00 »
Well, it automatically updates, and I've never had any problem with those on Windows 7.

The problem with running operating systems when they are out of support, is that anti-virus programs and some other programs stop working because they can't update due to the lack of Windows updates

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2019, 21:29 »
Well, it automatically updates, and I've never had any problem with those on Windows 7.

The problem with running operating systems when they are out of support, is that anti-virus programs and some other programs stop working because they can't update due to the lack of Windows updates

Can't say I've ever had an issue of that sort, i've had my current W7 laptop for around four years with various AV's and assorted programs. I think I once did one very  specific update to allow a game to run, other than that it's been an update free zone. I guess i've been lucky.

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2019, 23:16 »
Windows 10  ;D :thumbs:
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 23:40 »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2019, 09:13 »
I don't think Chorleydave bothers with Windows updates either.  He just reloads the entire OS every now and then. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2019, 11:55 »
So, I ended up leaving the laptop on all night so it could get this bloody thing done.  Now, on all previous updates, it's waited until I'm in the middle of something (unsaved, of course), and rebooted out of the blue, without warning.  This time, it sat there all night and did nothing for about 7 hours, waiting for me to click the button to say Reboot.   ::)  It then took about 40 minutes to restart but it now appears to have updated. 

I like the new dark mode, but once again, it reset all my fonts, which is annoying.  Had to come to work so I've yet to explore any other changes. 

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 13:24 »
So, I ended up leaving the laptop on all night so it could get this bloody thing done.  Now, on all previous updates, it's waited until I'm in the middle of something (unsaved, of course), and rebooted out of the blue, without warning.  This time, it sat there all night and did nothing for about 7 hours, waiting for me to click the button to say Reboot.   ::)  It then took about 40 minutes to restart but it now appears to have updated. 

I like the new dark mode, but once again, it reset all my fonts, which is annoying.  Had to come to work so I've yet to explore any other changes. 

Roll on Windows 11 ......oh hang on there isn't one, we're stuck with this forever  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum