Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Edge (New version)  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Edge (New version)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 17:18 »
Go on Simon, you know you want to really.  :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 20:31 »
::)

I very nearly upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 last night, having seen that this can still ("unofficially") be done for free, if you take the option to keep all files and apps.  The reason I didn't go through with it is because it took about an hour to download, and then another half an hour to to sort itself out, by which time it was getting late and I didn't want it to happen and then not have the time to put things right afterwards.

You need to do this. For a security reason.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 20:32 »
I'll give Edge a go at some point...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 21:12 »

You need to do this. For a security reason.

I doubt Windows 7 is going to crumble into pieces immediately.  Mine is fully patched up to date, so I'm not too worried in the short term.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 20:18 »
I doubt Windows 7 is going to crumble into pieces immediately.  Mine is fully patched up to date, so I'm not too worried in the short term.

Doesn't take long for a hack...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 21:07 »
Well, I've upgraded to Windows 10.  Took 2½ hours to complete.  It finally booted up to my usual Desktop, albeit with different fonts, and I even managed to reset it to my old Theme, but that's as far as I've got for the moment.  Looks at first glance like everything is as it should be.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 21:51 »
 ;D :rockban: :banana: :evilban: :welldone: :evilban: :banana: :rockban: ;D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 22:12 »
Well done Simon - and all for free too.  :)
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 23:50 »
;D :rockban: :banana: :evilban: :welldone: :evilban: :banana: :rockban: ;D

Not going with Edge, though.   ;D

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 10:34 »
Well, I've upgraded to Windows 10.  Took 2½ hours to complete.  It finally booted up to my usual Desktop, albeit with different fonts, and I even managed to reset it to my old Theme, but that's as far as I've got for the moment.  Looks at first glance like everything is as it should be.

Hopefully it will look and run like windows 7...well until the compulsory, seemingly untested but unavoidable updates begin  :o:

Linux Mint is very good  :D  :thumbs:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23 »
I was up till 1:00 this morning tweaking, but I think I've got it as I want it now.  I've checked all my programs and apart from Adobe Audition which seems to be having a bit of a hissy fit, everything seems to be working.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 12:26 »

It is very good indeed.  The problem from my point of view is that none of its graphics software holds a candle to software being produced commercially for Windows OS.

I have an old 32 bit laptop that I use very little but which was supplied with Vista.  I replaced that with Mint a couple of years ago when Vista became obsolete; it is still a very capable little machine so long as I stick to the Gimp, Inkscape and Shotcut.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 13:36 »
It is very good indeed.  The problem from my point of view is that none of its graphics software holds a candle to software being produced commercially for Windows OS.

I have an old 32 bit laptop that I use very little but which was supplied with Vista.  I replaced that with Mint a couple of years ago when Vista became obsolete; it is still a very capable little machine so long as I stick to the Gimp, Inkscape and Shotcut.

One thing I like about Mint is it allows you to install it as an option in a dual boot system (which is what I initially did, also on a Vista pc), so you can get best (or worst) of both worlds.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 19:38 »

Safety.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 19:38 »
Hopefully it will look and run like windows 7...well until the compulsory, seemingly untested but unavoidable updates begin  :o:

Mint is good... I still prefer Ubuntu though my desktop is Win 10... with an SSD you don't notice the updates much  :crazy:
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum