Technical Help & Discussion > Broadband, Networking, PC Security, Internet & ISPs

Third Party Routers

(1/3) > >>

Clive:
Does anyone know anything about third party routers to solve a weak internet connection in London?  The router under consideration is a WAVLINK AC3000 which is a triband router.  All this is pretty meaningless to me.   :dunno:

Simon:
What do you mean by third party?   Do you mean like a Wi-Fi extender?

Clive:
Yes, but he's already tried the BT version which are supposed to be good.  He has full blown FTTP with download speeds of 100 Mps.  There are four in the family and all are streaming or gaming and they are experiencing buffering and dropouts. I've made the suggestion of using NetSpot to switch the router to a different channel to see if that helps.  Everyone uses the ISP Hyperoptic and consequently they are all on the same channel. 

daveeb:

--- Quote from: Clive on August 20, 2019, 18:27 ---Yes, but he's already tried the BT version which are supposed to be good.  He has full blown FTTP with download speeds of 100 Mps.  There are four in the family and all are streaming or gaming and they are experiencing buffering and dropouts. I've made the suggestion of using NetSpot to switch the router to a different channel to see if that helps.  Everyone uses the ISP Hyperoptic and consequently they are all on the same channel. 

--- End quote ---

Clive do you mean he wants to use the router he has in Modem mode and do the routing with a third party router (which I have done in the past with Virgin Media).
Or is he replacing the router with a different one entirely ( I think you can do this with some Adsl providers, though not sure).
Either way I've heard that Asus routers are good.
A good mid range one is the Asus RT-ac86U  or a bit cheaper is the ac68U.

Clive:
He wants to use the router in modem mode.  But how difficult is it to set up? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version