Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Smart TV problem  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Smart TV problem
« on: January 01, 2020, 19:23 »
I have 3 smart TV's around the house, a small Samsung in the kitchen, a 32inch Sony in the sitting room and a 42inch Sony Bavia in the lounge. I get 100% strong signal in each area but last night the Sony 42inch would not log onto the internet. I have tried all sorts of ways to get it back up and running and sometimes it works and then 10 mins later it stops again. It took me over an hour tonight to get it running and then went back and tried it again later and it stated no wifi available. My iPad in the same room states 100% signal with no problems. I suspect that the TV has updated and this is causing the problems, any thoughts?  :dunno:
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Smart TV problem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 19:55 »
You may have already tried these, but a few suggestions:

Reset the Network Settings in the TV.

Reboot the router.

As a last resort, factory reset the TV.  This shouldn't be any more catastrophic than having to retune it, but obviously you would need to setup the network again.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 20:01 »
Just another random thought, but I wonder if it could be anything to do with the date?  Have you checked that the TV is showing the correct date?  I can't really see how this would affect the network settings, but stranger things, and all that.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 20:46 »
Have you checked the Sony TV forum to see if others are experiencing the same problems?  I have a 22" Samsung that has the same symptoms and it's because Samsung have stopped updating the software.  I think this is morally wrong because they have made the TV obsolete. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 20:52 »
That's what Apple have been doing for years, Clive, but I agree, built-in obsolescence should be banned. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 21:10 »
Just another random thought, but I wonder if it could be anything to do with the date?  Have you checked that the TV is showing the correct date?  I can't really see how this would affect the network settings, but stranger things, and all that.

Yes the incorrect date could could a HTTPS issue.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 21:12 »
I tried every way I could think of including going on Sony forums. Up until last night it worked fine with never a blip.

Sometimes after lots of fiddling it would work and then after 10 mins it would stop again. Fortunately I had not gotten rid of my Develo Powerline Adapters using ethernet cable and although its not as fast as the wifi it seems to work fine. Just annoyed with Sony and can't understand why both the other TVs work fine.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 21:15 »
I tried every way I could think of including going on Sony forums. Up until last night it worked fine with never a blip.

Sometimes after lots of fiddling it would work and then after 10 mins it would stop again. Fortunately I had not gotten rid of my Develo Powerline Adapters using ethernet cable and although its not as fast as the wifi it seems to work fine. Just annoyed with Sony and can't understand why both the other TVs work fine.

I assume not still under warranty?

Seems strange, must be a firmware update? I wonder if you can downgrade it? Got the model number?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 23:04 »
I heard on the radio earlier that the atmospheric high pressure sitting over the UK is wreaking havoc with many Freeview digital receivers. It's something to do with how television signals are broadcast and bounced off atmospheric layers but I must admit I'm completely out of my depth here.  Nevertheless, could that be a possibility?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01 »
Funnily enough a friend who lives in Cricklade told us that their TV signal disappeared over Christmas. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 20:21 »
I heard on the radio earlier that the atmospheric high pressure sitting over the UK is wreaking havoc with many Freeview digital receivers. It's something to do with how television signals are broadcast and bounced off atmospheric layers but I must admit I'm completely out of my depth here.  Nevertheless, could that be a possibility?

The ionosphere isn't that  different though, I'd have assumed the propagation between high and low pressure's ins't much different... but I've never been much cope with low frequency radio waves.. ask Clive.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 20:21 »
The ionosphere isn't that  different though, I'd have assumed the propagation between high and low pressure's ins't much different... but I've never been much cope with low frequency radio waves.. ask Clive.

Oh and its wifi here, won't leave the house...or not far.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 21:36 »
I can't see how the pressure can affect propagation.   :-\

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 21:57 »
I mean it will affect the refractive index and hence some light is likely to be attenuated or shifted... but I think its the moisture content that causes the highest scattering...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 16:01 »
I'm enjoying the high pressure, since our local TV transmissions were modified (part of the 5g rollout) I haven't been able to get my favourite channel BBC4 HD because they now transmit it from a low power transmitter instead of the one they used to use. High pressure seems to be be the most favourable condition for it to magically reappear.
I have bought a new wideband aerial which I did plan to put on the roof instead of our current loft aerial, however I then remembered Rod Hull and decided against the roof idea.  :crazy:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum