Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to make a scanned document editable in word  (Read 4611 times)

Offline KRO

How to make a scanned document editable in word
« on: March 22, 2020, 20:33 »
Hi, i need to try to update my cv that is some ten years old now.
I have done what google advises and it tells me that it will make the document editable, but it still doesn't work for me.....any advice please

Cheers keith
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: How to make a scanned document editable in word
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 20:54 »
Long time no see!

I don't think you can edit a scanned document in Word, as it scans as an image.  How does Google claim to be able to do it?

What you could do is scan the document with an image editor, such as Adobe, then use the Text tool to replace the existing text. 

I'm sure someone will come up with other suggestions, but I've occasionally spent loads of time trying to do something like this, when it would have been quicker to just type the damn thing out again from scratch.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 21:12 »
There's an article on Optical Character Recognition software here that might be useful.

:dunno:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline KRO

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 10:21 »
Long time no see!

I don't think you can edit a scanned document in Word, as it scans as an image.  How does Google claim to be able to do it?

What you could do is scan the document with an image editor, such as Adobe, then use the Text tool to replace the existing text. 

I'm sure someone will come up with other suggestions, but I've occasionally spent loads of time trying to do something like this, when it would have been quicker to just type the damn thing out again from scratch.

Hi Simon,
                google told me to scan the document as a PDF rather than a JPEG then to click on file in word....then a box opens up telling me that Word will now convert my PDF to an editable Word document saying this may take a while..... i then click ok...( it seems to do it almost instantly) the resulting Word document will be optimised to allow you to edit the text...
but i still cant edit it !!
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27 »
Hi Keith,

I've never tried to do this.  What format is the original document in?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline KRO

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 15:19 »
Hi Simon...sorry for the late reply (i'm sure i used to get email notification for active threads)
I'm not really sure a friend of a friend did it for me several years ago...i assumed it was done in word
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 17:53 »
Hi Simon...sorry for the late reply (i'm sure i used to get email notification for active threads)
I'm not really sure a friend of a friend did it for me several years ago...i assumed it was done in word

You may need to click the Notify button to enable email notifications of replies (see below).

To be honest, I don't really know what to suggest on the file conversion, as we can't be certain what the original file was created in.   :dunno:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 16:58 »
Several years ago, I tried to do this for a friend. After spending several hours trying to find software to do the job, I gave up and spent less that a hour retyping it in Microsoft Word!

Offline KRO

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 12:38 »
You may need to click the Notify button to enable email notifications of replies (see below).

To be honest, I don't really know what to suggest on the file conversion, as we can't be certain what the original file was created in.   :dunno:

Hey Simon thanks for that.....
Chorleydave...yes i think that will be the way to go...many thanks again for the replies

Cheers keith
cheers kro.....

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum