Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows Audio Problem  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Windows Audio Problem
« on: April 11, 2020, 00:25 »
Yesterday, I fired up my Windows 10 laptop as usual, but after a while I noticed that the sound was not working and there was a red x by the speaker icon in the system tray.

I did a quick Google and it seems this is a common problem, but none of the solutions I have found so far have worked.

I went into the Services screen and found that the Windows Audio service had not started, and refused to do so, so again following advice on Google, I checked the Log On tab and found that it was set to require a password.  I changed this to log on using the Local Account, and Windows Audio then started, but even after a reboot, still no sound.  I was also getting error messages from iTunes and Adobe Audition saying that a problem exists with the windows audio service.

I've updated the sound card drivers, and also reinstalled the sound card and speakers through Device Manager.  I've even done a System Restore to a point where I think the audio was still working, but nothing seem to have fixed the issue.  I've tried connecting Bluetooth headphones, and still get the error message about Windows audio service, so I don't think it's the speakers that are the problem.

Any ideas?

I can post some screenshots of the error messages tomorrow, but I can't be arsed to start it all up again now.    ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Windows Audio Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:59 »
Strange one, was going to suggest the audio had gone but no bluetooth... hmmm

I'm assuming you followed: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-audio-service-is-not-running-error-windows-10/

did you try to roll back to a previous driver? Just that no system restore.

Some other thoughts: https://www.minitool.com/news/audio-services-not-responding-fix.html

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:27 »
Strange one, was going to suggest the audio had gone but no bluetooth... hmmm

I'm assuming you followed: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-audio-service-is-not-running-error-windows-10/

did you try to roll back to a previous driver? Just that no system restore.

Some other thoughts: https://www.minitool.com/news/audio-services-not-responding-fix.html

I'm a bit dubious about those driver scanning tools, but I did reinstall the original driver for the sound card, and that didn't help.

I'll have a look at that second link later, as that's got some stuff in it I didn't try.   :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 11:40 »
I tried DriverEasy, but all it seemed to want to do was create obstacles to force me to upgrade to the Pro version, so I gave up with it.  I'm now doing a full image restore from a backup from 1st April, as at least I can just leave it to it rather than getting frustrated fiddling about with various other settings.  I've got a feeling this might have been caused by a Windows Update, as nothing else has changed on the machine.   

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:42 »
Windows update and now sound not working?  Have you tried rolling back the update, Simon?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 11:51 »
I did a system restore to before the last Windows Update, and that didn't fix it.  The full restore is now taking place and will probably take a few hours.  I can't do anything else until that's completed. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:46 »
I did a system restore to before the last Windows Update, and that didn't fix it.  The full restore is now taking place and will probably take a few hours.  I can't do anything else until that's completed.

:thumb: Hope.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 13:47 »
Sorted with the restore.   So, it must have been effing Windows Updates.   >:(

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 15:04 »
Sorted with the restore.   So, it must have been effing Windows Updates.   >:(

Who'd have thought it  :o:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 15:39 »
Absolutely lethal!   >:(  Well done Simon.   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 16:52 »
Far worse than any virus.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 20:34 »
Yeah last update means I have to reconnect to our network every reboot - just click twice but annoying
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 21:17 »
Just a belated thought Simon, did you try running the Windows 10 trouble shooter as that has a audio checker.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 22:49 »
Just a belated thought Simon, did you try running the Windows 10 trouble shooter as that has a audio checker.

Yes. It told me there was a problem but it couldn't fix it.  Windows 10 being as useful as ever.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum