Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: VPN and PCPals  (Read 3005 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
VPN and PCPals
« on: May 27, 2020, 22:28 »
So I finally got fed up with Firefox using stupid amounts of system memory (7 GB of the available 8 total). It seems to be particularly bad when using with Facebook and gets progressively worse as the day goes on. But that isn't the issue I'm asking about, although if someone knows why it does this it would be a bonus.

I'm not crazy about Chrome so decided to try Opera. I quite like it and noticed it had a free VPN. My first port of call was here and I tried to log in behind the VPN. I got a message saying the session had expired, which I tried multiple times. Is this normal ?  :dunno: i suppose this is really directed towards Clive, Simon or Sam.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: VPN and PCPals
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 22:50 »
Actually I just tried from Opera without the VPN with the same result.  :dunno:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:12 »
Still resisting Edge then Dave? I run it as my main Browser with no problems at all.  :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:13 »
Mrs Clive tried Opera and got rid of it after just a day.  She said it was a nightmare to use.  But she says the same about me.   :o:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:15 »
Still resisting Edge then Dave? I run it as my main Browser with no problems at all.  :D

Actually Computeractive is singing the praises of Edge in its current issue.  I used to have memory hog problems with Chrome but it's been OK for the last few years. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 10:31 »
I've had issues with Opera on here and other websites.  I think its something to do with the way it handles cookies.  Recently I've been trying this without any problems:

https://www.palemoon.org/

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 11:15 »
OK thanks all. Must admit I haven't tried Edge, isn't it a bit like Internet explorer with bells and whistles ??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:42 by daveeb »

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 13:45 »
I get on okay with Opera. I must be doing something wrong.  :dunno:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 14:47 »
I get on okay with Opera. I must be doing something wrong.  :dunno:

I liked it as well until it wouldn't log in to PCP  :(

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 16:12 »
OK thanks all. Must admit I haven't tried Edge, isn't it a bit like Internet explorer with bells and whistles ??

NO: The latest version is based on Chrome but takes it to a different level. I've been using it since it first came out (at first alongside IE) but it now is the best browser out there.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 16:39 »

NO: The latest version is based on Chrome but takes it to a different level. I've been using it since it first came out (at first alongside IE) but it now is the best browser out there.

You can use it on win 7 but need a virtual machine to run it apparently so can slow things down a lot. I think it was really made for win  10 users.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 23:09 »
I've heard good things about Edge, but haven't tried it yet.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum