Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Brian May voted Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time  (Read 3907 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Queen’s Brian May has been named the greatest rock guitarist of all time by readers of Total Guitar magazine.

The magazine had a shortlist of 170 players which they split into six categories: classic rock, blues, heavy metal, shred, indie/alternative and ‘best right now’. Fans got to have their say in an online poll – and it was May who came out on top of the rock category.

Reacting to the news, May tells Total Guitar: “I’m absolutely speechless. I’m blown away. I have to say it’s completely unexpected. Obviously I’m deeply touched that people feel that way about me. I’m not under any illusions that, technically, I’m even on the tree of great guitarists. 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/queens-brian-may-voted-the-greatest-rock-guitarist-of-all-time
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Brian May voted Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 20:30 »
I wouldn't argue with that.   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 02:47 »
I would certainly argue!  Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton immediately spring to mind and I don't even like their music!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:22 »
 ;D

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:22 »
I would certainly argue!  Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton immediately spring to mind and I don't even like their music!

And you can't spell one of their names either!  It's Jimi.   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 18:13 »
And you can't spell one of their names either!  It's Jimi.   ;D

I couldn't care less.  I only wish I could forget him altogether.  As far as I'm concerned he made a bloody awful racket but I seem to be in a minority.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 20:25 »
I couldn't care less.  I only wish I could forget him altogether.  As far as I'm concerned he made a bloody awful racket but I seem to be in a minority.

I have to admit I was never a fan of Hendrix myself, but he did craft the way for the next generation of guitar players.  Clapton I can take or leave as well.

Whilst we are in agreement, Gill, may I suggest that you listen to the track Good Company by Queen?  It's not their 'usual' type of thing and was in fact more of a Brian May solo composition.  Within this track, he managed the extraordinary feat of creating a Dixieland jazz band of trombone, trumpet, and clarinet - all with the guitar. It is a piece of compositional genius that remains unparalleled to this day:

https://youtu.be/XQo5tqwAwgE

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 21:02 »
I have to admit I was never a fan of Hendrix myself, but he did craft the way for the next generation of guitar players.  Clapton I can take or leave as well.

Whilst we are in agreement, Gill, may I suggest that you listen to the track Good Company by Queen?  It's not their 'usual' type of thing and was in fact more of a Brian May solo composition.  Within this track, he managed the extraordinary feat of creating a Dixieland jazz band of trombone, trumpet, and clarinet - all with the guitar. It is a piece of compositional genius that remains unparalleled to this day:

https://youtu.be/XQo5tqwAwgE

And not a slouch in the brain department either  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum