Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet/Telephone Provider  (Read 2160 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Internet/Telephone Provider
« on: October 25, 2020, 21:29 »
We currently have our internet and telephone service provided by TalkTalk.  It's supposed to deliver fast broadband at 11mps/s and unlimited UK phone calls.  All in, we're charged £33.50 per month.  However, our contract will end shortly so I've been looking around.  It appears I can get a similar service with broadband at three times faster for £31.99 from Plusnet.

I'd appreciate any advice before I make a decision.  Plusnet used to be a highly regarded telecomms firm but I'm not sure how they are now.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Internet/Telephone Provider
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 21:45 »
I have Plusnet in my other flat and have never experienced any problems with them.  ADSL speed is good and I pay £16 a month but that doesn't include the landline which I have with ID Net. Talk Talk are in serious trouble and owe BT £millions in unpaid bills so it's sensible to bail out asap. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 22:25 »
I could be wrong but I believe Plusnet are now part of BT.  I've been with IDNet since 2007 so I have no recent experience of other ISPs.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 09:49 »
They have always been part of BT.  I've used them downstairs since 2006 and prior to that I used them at a previous property for several years. 

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41 »
I'm still with BT after leaving iDnet a number of years ago.

I have never had any problems with them and my speed is 62mps/s with unlimited anytime calls. I also pay for BT Sport and the wholehome WiFi hubs.

A friend of mine 100mtrs away is with PlusNet and gets a max of 35mps/s.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:52 »
I consider BT to be a dirty word.  What I love about IDNet is that if you have a problem they answer the phone immediately and it will be somebody from Milton Keynes. 

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 17:20 »
That happens with BT these days as they closed the Indian Help Lines.

I liked iDnet but if they had a problem with the line they contacted Openreach to put it right.

But then again I don't have problems and if my broadband was down they send me a 5g router to get it back up again.  :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 18:57 »
We are with Virgin.... poor contact, dodgy billing (you have to chase) but their connectivity on fibre is good - but then we are in fairly central Brum
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum