Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Poltergeists?  (Read 3708 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Poltergeists?
« on: November 12, 2020, 20:40 »
I bought a graphics tablet a couple of years ago and put it aside some time ago in a safe place where it would be easy to find.  I kept the stylus in a drawer where I knew it would also be safe and easy to find.  A few months ago I bought some graphics software which I've been very keen to use with the graphics pad but when I looked in the place where I'd stored it, it wasn't there.  Annoyingly, the stylus was exactly where I'd put it and has served as a reminder to me every day since.

This morning I found the graphics tablet... exactly where I put it so long ago.  I was delighted and couldn't wait to use it with my newish software so I reached into the drawer for the stylus, only to find it wasn't there.  I've emptied the drawer plus the rest of the cabinet, all to no avail - it's gone.

I know some people talk about the 'spirit in the machine' but I'm beginning to wonder if the spirit in my machine is having a laugh.  Come on, you PC experts - what's the solution for poltergeist activity in relation to a computer?

Alternatively, if anyone can tell me where the stylus is, I'd be much obliged.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Poltergeists?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 21:05 »
This happens to me all the time.  Something could be somewhere, and you see it every day, but when you actually need to use it, it's gone.  I never did find a black wallet with a National Trust membership card in it, that was on the chest of draws for months, until the day I wanted to visit a local NT park, then it was nowhere to be seen from that day to this.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 21:17 »
This is absolutely normal and I put it down to quantum mechanics and parallel universes.   :crazy:  When the item is missing it's because it's slipped over to the other side. 

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 21:41 »
When it happens to me I put it down to senility on my part. Now where did I put my Amiga 1200?  :blush:
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 21:57 »
If you're feeling nostalgic for your old Amiga, Den, may I suggest the new Raspberry Pi 400?  It's received some very favourable reviews and if I needed a new machine to use Linux or learn coding I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

By the way, I still miss Raid Over Moscow on my old Amiga.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 22:16 »
You can still buy second hand versions.

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 16:19 »
In my garage attic I still have a number of boxed Amiga games.  ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 18:00 »
The Amiga was very popular with my work colleagues but Sinclair Spectrums ruled the roost.  The games were relatively easy to crack so we all had copies of everything. 

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 21:24 »
I started my computer life with a Com 64, then Amiga 1200 then onto Windows 95 and all the way through until Windows 10. I have Apple iPads and Kindle Fire but my love is Windows.  :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 21:45 »
I went on to a BBC Master followed by a myriad of desktops beginning with Win 3.1.  Then came the laptops, Kindles and iPad. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum