Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Problems with attachment  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Problems with attachment
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:06 »
HELP!

I can't open attachments within Microsoft Office Outlook.

They will open fine with Mail or Mailbird either pdf files or Word. In outlook they do not show up as pdf but as pd- .

Any thoughts as this is becoming a pain.  :facepalm:
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Problems with attachment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 13:00 »
I don't know if this will help:

If you use Microsoft Outlook and you can’t open a file attachment, you may need to disable add-ins.

On Microsoft Outlook, click File > Options > Add-ins.

Click COM Add-ins under Manage and then click GO.

Uncheck all of the add-ins.Click OK once all add-ins have been disabled.

Close and re-open Microsoft Outlook and download the attached file again.

https://www.hellotech.com/blog/cant-open-file-attachments-here-are-possible-solutions-to-your-problem/amp
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 18:46 »
I spent 90mins on the phone and computer today with Microsoft Office 365. They were very helpful and changed a lot of settings within Outlook.

When we finished I thought all was well but I can't forward invoices from Quickbooks Desktop to email them and although most attachments now open some did not.

I am going to try Quickbooks support tomorrow and if that does not work I'm going to uninstall Kaspersky as I've read on the web that this can cause the problem sometimes.

I have also done a complete reinstall of Microsoft 365 Office.  ':|

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 19:37 »
I was going to suggest creating a new profile in Outlook.  I wonder if you've downloaded something that has changed some settings in your computer?

Having said, Clive has been having trouble logging in to some websites, and after eliminating lots of other possible causes, he is also running Kaspersky and thinks that may be the culprit.

I recommended BitDefender to him, which you can try for free, but it will require the full removal of Kaspersky.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 20:27 »
I'm definitely dumping Kaspersky before my license runs out.  Too many of my bookmarks have stopped working. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 13:20 »
Can you move to outlook online? Or do both - might be a solution
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 16:02 »
This morning I uninstalled Kaspersky and the problem went away. Amazingly after I completed the un-installation my copy of "Computer Action" arrived and there in the readers letters was someone who had the same problem and had found a way of altering the settings in Kaspersky to cure it.

Once again I have un-installed Kaspersky but this time I think I will leave it off. I'm going to run Windows Security and see how I get on but that fails I will install the BT Version of Mcafee as it's included in my contract.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 20:04 »
Well done Den!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 12:40 »
I must admit I was reluctant to uninstall Kaspersky (again) but my computer seems to be running much smoother with Microsoft Security controlling everything and all my problems with Office 365 and Intuit Quickbooks have gone away.  ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 14:32 »
That's very good to know.  Watch out for Novichok on your door knob.   :devil:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 15:35 »
As they say in the USA, "I can Trump that and raise you one".  :devil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 17:59 »
I don't dislike Windows Defender, although, I don't think it's quite up to the standards of some of the big AV suites.  That said, it's not full of bloat that most people would never use either.  I have it on my new laptop at the moment, as I've not got round to installing anything else yet, and the only negative thing I've found is that it slows down Mailwasher when it checks for emails.  Also, there's no additional banking protection, which most of the other big suites have on board.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 19:18 »
I don't dislike Windows Defender, although, I don't think it's quite up to the standards of some of the big AV suites.  That said, it's not full of bloat that most people would never use either.  I have it on my new laptop at the moment, as I've not got round to installing anything else yet, and the only negative thing I've found is that it slows down Mailwasher when it checks for emails.  Also, there's no additional banking protection, which most of the other big suites have on board.

I don't use anything else.  ~Just don't click dodgy links  :dunno: ... oh here are the amazing facts  ':|
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 20:03 »
 :devil:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 22:13 »
Over the last few years it's the second time I've got rid of Kaspersky and both times for causing problems.

I used BTs own (McAfee and it's free)) for a long time but I thought I would try Kaspersky again. Never again.  :D

I will now see how I get along with Microsoft Security and by the way Simon it's not called Defender any more.  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum