Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Linux/Unix on WinXP ?!?!?  (Read 7678 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Linux/Unix on WinXP ?!?!?
« on: November 26, 2002, 14:33 »
Hi All,

As I'm currently at uni studying computer science, we regularly use unix systems.

Looking in pcworld i noticed OpenLinux (similar to redhat) that can be installed on a windows based machine.

Does anyone have any experiance of such an installation, as i'm wondering if i should buy it and install it.  This will allow me to run unix programs on my home PC.  Does it need to be connected to a Unix server type machine or can it be run on it's own alongside windows ? ::)

Any suggestions / experiances would be really helpful  ;D
Thanks

DJ1UK

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Linux/Unix on WinXP ?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 14:52 »
This is way out of my depth but you may find this site helpful :

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/

Adept

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 19:51 »
Hi DJ,

I briefly used Corel Linux about a year ago, which had this facility. I wouldn't have thought OpenLinux would be that different.

The running within Windows thing was a bit of a red herring. What actually happens is that the Linux file system is able to use spare space on a normal FAT32 partition. When you want to run Linux, you click an icon in Windows which closes down and restarts in Linux.

Once you are in Linux, you get a full blown Linux system which can be configured as a workstation, a file server, a mail server or whatever else you need.

I hope this helps.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 13:12 »
Cheers for the info Sandra & Adept

I am going to leave this until next year sometime - but will let you all know how i get on  :D

Thanks

DJ1UK

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 16:32 »
Hi All,

Managed to get a copy of mandrake 9 and about to install it on my Sony Vaio FX401 laptop.  

Currently it has a C: WinXP installed and a blank D:

Is there a way of installing mandrake straight to D: without partitioing the drives - as i haven't got partition magic (which is recommended by mandrake for win xp machines).

Cheers for your advice....

DJ1UK

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 16:52 »
Hi DJ,

I'm waiting for the answer to this one as I hope to install Mandrake 9 (came on a dvd cover disk ;)) on my new machine. As I'm still waiting for some memory, I haven't had the chance to install any software yet.

I do want to be able to run Linux as well as XP on the same disc as I won't have the second disc yet
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 17:36 »
Hi Guys,

No, I haven't got an answer for you, but have you both tried this website?  It seems to have a lot of information about Mandrake 9 - don't know if you'll find what you want though.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 20:33 »
Hi All,

Have now managed to install Mandrake on my laptop alongside WinXP.

Basically as my drive was already partitioned to a C: and a D: when installing mandrake it asks which drive to install on.

Then I formatted the drive to a linux file stucture and it installed no problems.

Just remember to select Advanced Installation in order to get the choice and Label your partition (as in the installation it only shows the label and size).

Good Luck if anyone else is going to try this ! - any questions I'll try and help.

DJ1UK

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 21:55 »
Well done DJ!!  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 22:11 »
Congratulations and well done DJ

It'll be useful having a Linux expert on-board

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 22:32 »
Too right - the linux on my kitchen floor needs replacing.  Can you do me a deal, DJ??  

Hang on, I've got this wrong haven't I?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2002, 22:38 »
Thats great DJ. Hopefull I'll have some memory for my new PC sooon and then I'll give it a try.

Simon, you always get it wrong ;) you need laminate flooring, then you can slide around when you've had a few sherberts ;) ;D
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 22:51 »
Surely those ceramic floor tiles are better - much easier to break things on!  Honestly, you know nothing, Bat!   ::) ;D ;D

Adept

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2002, 22:56 »
That's why I love this forum and the people in it. No-one can go so far off-topic as quickly as we can  ;D ;D

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2002, 10:30 »
Cheers for the Congrats and Well Dones !!

Simon - I would go for the laminate - the click in stuff .  So if you damage they can be clicked out and replaced. Oh and the added bonus of sliding about as Bat69 mentioned !!

OK Now back to LINUX....  ;)

Everything is working EXCEPT the modem in linux (as its a win modem).  It's a known problem so was expecting it !

Other little niggle is the start up boot menu defaults to linux after 15 seconds.  Would like it to defalt to winxp instead - but i'm working on it.

By they way theres some great little games and time wasters the come with it - so make sure you install them.  For example there's the tea maker that times how long it takes to make tea and sets an alarm when its ready - how handy is that ?!?

DJ1UK

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum