Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Chutneys And Pickles  (Read 4568 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Chutneys And Pickles
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:46 »
Especially for Rik, here's a link to a chutney making guide which includes comments about including salt.  The recipes don't indicate how much chutney they normally make, but in my experience most recipes produce between 4 and 6 lbs.  So if a recipe calls for two teaspoons of salt, that means it will constitute roughly 0.4%.  However, there is no reason why you can't use lo-salt instead of table salt or leave it out altogether.

I'm surprised that supermarket pickled onions should have a high salt content.  When you make pickled onions, you immerse them in brine to draw water out of the onions.  Then you rinse them off before pickling.  In theory, there should be be no salt at all in pickled onions.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Chutneys And Pickles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:19 »
Especially for Rik, here's a link to a chutney making guide which includes comments about including salt.  The recipes don't indicate how much chutney they normally make, but in my experience most recipes produce between 4 and 6 lbs.  So if a recipe calls for two teaspoons of salt, that means it will constitute roughly 0.4%.  However, there is no reason why you can't use lo-salt instead of table salt or leave it out altogether.

Thanks, Gill.  :thumbs:

I'm surprised that supermarket pickled onions should have a high salt content.  When you make pickled onions, you immerse them in brine to draw water out of the onions.  Then you rinse them off before pickling.  In theory, there should be be no salt at all in pickled onions.

All the ones I've checked (I prefers Kit's Kitchens to all others) have had significant amounts of salt, sadly. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 13:35 »
Pickle your own onions, Rik, (or sweet talk the missus into it) - there shouldn't be any salt at all but if there is, it will just be a trace.

Here's a couple of recipes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pickledonions_7719.shtml
http://forum.downsizer.net/index.php?component=catalogdisplay&show_post=756527&Cuisine=&Course=&Special1=&search_text=pickled+onions
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 17:49 »
Thanks. The problem is, how do we test? The sodium control is vital, so we have to get things right. Sue did make her own onions last year, but I demolished them too quickly. ;D

One test may be to weigh, which I have to do daily. If I eat something salty, my weight will go up by 0.3-0.5kg due to fluid retention.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 18:44 »
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 19:20 »
What I suspect is the case with supermarket pickled onions is that the onions are immersed in a salted vinegar solution, hence a salt content.  That might be the commercial method of production and it would also explain why they don't taste as good as home-made pickles.  However, I've never looked at the contents of supermarket pickled onions, so I'm just speculating.

Home-made pickled onions don't have any salt, unless you fail to rinse them properly after brining, in which case there would be a trace.  Let's face it, anyone who can't rinse an onion properly shouldn't be left alone in such a dangerous place as a kitchen anyway.

Here's one of my favourite chutney recipes.  No salt.  Lots of flavour.  I once 'lost' a jar and found it five years later; it was the tastiest chutney I had ever eaten!

Apple And Date Chutney

Makes 4lb

3lb cooking apples, peeled, cored & diced
2lb onions, chopped
12oz stoned dates, chopped
4oz raisins
2 lemons, juice & rind
1 1/2lb light soft brown sugar
1/2 pint malt vinegar

Heat all the ingredients in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until the mixture has thickened.  Spoon into sterilised jars and store in a cool, dark place for 3 months.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:32 »
Thanks, Gill - printed.  :thumbs:
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum