Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Combat Flying Simulators  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Combat Flying Simulators
« on: July 08, 2003, 18:26 »
If you want a good free WW1 and WW2 flying simulator game have a look at this site :

http://www.totalsims.com/

I have the Warbirds 1 and just updated to the Warbirds 111 but havent had time to try it yet.
The Warbirds 1 is very good and as long as you dont want to play on line it is totally free  :)
Its a big download but I downloaded the Auto Updater then the updates to get Warbirds 111 which came down in a lot of different .zip files so if you are on a slow connection,or a time limit,you only lose the zip that you were downloading and it will resume from that zip when you reconnect.
I dont know about the other simulators on there but if they are the same standard as the Warbirds one is then they should be good too  :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Combat Flying Simulators
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 18:33 »
I have just read that the Auto updater will install a new version or update an existing one too so even though it may take a long time to get it can be done on the slowest and shortest connections  :-*

Warbirds III: 7/03/03 - New AutoUpdater

We have put a file up that will update an old version, or totally install a new version, depending on what you have, on the downloads page for the PC.

A few things to note about the PC Auto-Updater.

Each file in Warbirds is downloaded separately through the updater, if the download fails anywhere in the process, you will get a message saying that the updater was out of communication for 10 seconds, would you like to wait. If waiting doesn't get you your connection back, close the updater and restart it again from the Start menu under Programs/IEN Total Sims Series/Warbirds III/Check for WBIII Updates (Beta testers be warned, you may have a similarly named file that fails out, delete it please.)

The process of reconnecting is still klunky and makes you THINK your going to have to start from scratch. Have no fear, it will skip ahead to the end of the last file it downloaded successfully and begin again.

At the end of the download process, if any files in the download were corrupted, it will re-download them by running you through the process again. Again, clunky interface makes you think you've got to download the whole shebang when you don't. It'll just re-download any corrupted files.

Then it will install the files you've downloaded, when that process is done it'll ask if you wish to read the readme. Do or not, whatever and your done.

For now we've made the ETO mandatory in order to facilitate as many players as possible to be game ready for the Target For Tonight which will feature this Player Developed Terrain.

The other new terrain for DoA, and the Updated PTO are currently NOT mandatory.

Until we have an open release of the Mac build we will not be opening any arenas with the new terrains. Because they will have to be mandatory update accessible and will exclude users who have not updated. The FPA and WW2A will remain as they are and not require this update until the end of the current tour of duty.

This is a strange update, as it represents a conglomeration of different projects at different phases of development.

We consider the Warbirds build to be the 7/02 version, fully updated. However, it is also the open beta of Dawn of Aces III. It is also the first public test of ETO Version I. Lastly it is the second public test of the PTO.

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 20:50 »
Looks great. I've always wanted Rowans Battle Of Britian or Combat Flight Sim 3. The graphics on these are great but my TNT2 isn't up to scratch. Maybe once boss upgrades I'll get his old card  :) The only problem I've seen with the warbirds series is that you have to pay which I'm not to fond of.  :-\
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 22:15 »
You only pay for it if you want to play online Robo.
Its completely free to use off line  :-*

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 10:34 »
I'm a silly boy  ;D Is there other computer planes flying about as well? I had one a while ago where it had none so basically I flew about in  spitfires hitting buildings for fun... (long before 11/9 btw)

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 14:11 »
There are Robo but I havent been able to shoot any down yet,mainly because I havent had time to sit down and play it for more than ten minutes in one go yet  ::)
In Warbirds 111 theres even a raid on Hitlers mountain retreat in a Mosquito (one of the best but most under rated planes of WW2).
Hope you enjoy it wen you get it  :-*

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 14:16 »
I'm sure I will  :) Will have to get another joystick since my brother broke my old one  :(

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 17:57 »

Looks great. I've always wanted Rowans Battle Of Britian or Combat Flight Sim 3. The graphics on these are great but my TNT2 isn't up to scratch.

I just fitted a 128mb DDR Geforce 4 MX440SE card Robo and have just been down to tree top level in a Mosquito and the greenish blobs that were ther before on my 16mb card are now pine trees  ;D

I got it for £49 from here http://www.3bsystems.co.uk/
Cant find any information out about it on the web,it says its an A-TEK but its got a NVIDIA Gforce 4 chipset :doggie:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 12:26 »
I've went one better for my Birthday ****3rd August**** I'm getting a 128Mb DDR Ti4200 which has pre-clocked memory to match the 64Mb version  ;D Plus I ordered a £8 Saitek 3D joystick hehe

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 13:04 »
I got a Microsoft force feedback pro sidewinder joystick yesterday for £15 Robo  :)
I think that they had priced it wrong but I didnt tell them  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 13:23 »
Hehe nice one, think the years of playing with force feedback console pads have made my hands shake enough  ;)

Example:
Microsoft Works

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum