Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB Support in Win95  (Read 2259 times)

Offline rad

USB Support in Win95
« on: June 23, 2003, 06:56 »
I am trying to install USB Support on Win95 OSR2 version 4.0.1111 B
My PC has SiS motherboard with serial no: 12/08/1998-SiS-5600-2A6ILP8AC-00

As per the documentation found on Internet as well as Win95 CD, I installed USB Driver found
on Win95 CD:// Other/USB/usbsupp.exe

The installation goes ahead smoothly, but after reboot, an exclamation mark is shown against
the USB Controller in Device Manager. The Intel utility usbready.exe shows that my motherboard is usb ready.

While installing the driver, Windows recognizes the original driver as OpenHCD USB Controller.
The file being copied in SYSTEM directory is openhci.sys.
I tried to install PCI to USB Controller, but with same results.

I want to connect CDMA WLL phone to PC using USB port to try out a new Internet connection.
Is it possible to do this on Win95? Or I have to upgrade to at least Win98?

Regards.
ad.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:USB Support in Win95
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 08:23 »
One of our techies will be along later to help you Rad.

Offline Mustapha Phagg

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 09:24 »
First check your bios and make sure that usb support is enabled.

Win95 is notoriously difficult to get usb enabled, check the driver in properties in the ? mark and reinstall them. Check the connections from your mobo to the usb ports.

If all this fails then you may be looking for an upgrade to win98.
Sure there will be a better techie than me along to think of a few more things to do.
img]http://www.reset.plus.com/toons/Egyptian.gif[/img]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 12:44 »
As Mustapha has said,its possibly not enabled in BIOS,I stand to be corrected,but I thought that 95 didnt support USB so it may be better upgrading to 98  :-*

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 22:24 »
Talking about USB, well my Epson printer worked as a copier but would not print from the PC. I thought that's funny, it had been working before...well what did I do ....I went on holiday  ;D

Then on returning I tried to download some pictures from a digital camera and that ain't working. It turned out a couple of week back I updated my Mobo bios, so it was re set to default which as it happens is with USB disabled, right on Mustapha :) OS W2K Pro
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline rad

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 18:08 »
I had to upgrade to Win98 as the last resort. I installed Win98 SE over my existing Win95. It promptly changed the registry and kept all my installed programs intact. It also did the most important task, that to install the proper SiS 7001 USB Host Controller along with Root Hub. Everything seems fine, ;D but for one thing -

Shutdown/Reboot Windows hangs after Win98 "Shutting Down Windows..wait" wallpaper. :o

Any suggestions how to correct it? ???

Regards.
ad.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 18:31 »
Hi Rad,

Do you happen to have Norton Anti Virus installed?  I found this article and wondered if it might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187324

Also, Fast Shutdown may be causing a problem - you could try disabling it in MSCONFIG.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187607

Come back to us if you need more help.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline rad

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 06:29 »
Thanks for the tip.

By disabling FastRebbot option, I can now shut down my computer properly, but the restart problem still exists.

I am using AVG 6.0 Antivirus System on my machine.

I noticed another peculier problem, which I do not know if it is related to current problem.

I have Yamaha OPL3SaX soundcard, which was working nicely with Win95. After upgrading to Win98, the Win98 installation picked up a different driver for the card. Some times when I start the machine for the first time in a day, the sound card does not work though the volume control (systray) is visible/available on the taksbar. AND AT THIS STAGE I CAN SHUTDOWN AS WELL AS REBOOT MY MACHINE. After rebooting, the sound card works fine, but now restart hangs.

Any suggestions please?

Regards.
ad.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 07:45 »
Guessing now, but have you still got the original sound card drivers on a disc?  Wondered if it might be worth un-installing the 'new' driver, and re-installing the 'old' one?

You said you installed W98 on top of W95.  I recently had a problem with XP, and at first re-installed it over the top, but, although some problems were fixed, the initial errors remained.  It seems you sometimes can't avoid a format and clean installation.   I'm no techie, so check back here and see if someone else comes up with another idea, before you wipe your system!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 12:39 »
It may be that you can find an updated driver for the card if you do a search either on the Yamaha site or on www.driverguide.com

It may be that 98 has later drivers that werent as good as the ones that 95 had,sometimes newer isnt always better,and they may have been superceded especialy if there was a known issue with the updated ones that came on the 98 installation.

I cant think why it should be uninstalling them on closing down though  ???

Offline Mustapha Phagg

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 13:45 »
AS Simmon suggests a new installation of win98 may be neccesary.

But win98 SE is very fussy about drivers, my system hangs on shutdown as well and it's the driver for the Zoom ADSL modem that is the problem. Removing the driver cures the problem.

If a clean re-install fails to cure the problem then your only option is live with it or change your soundcard. Perhaps winXP is more tolerant.

Best of luck.
img]http://www.reset.plus.com/toons/Egyptian.gif[/img]

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 15:26 »
I had exactly the problem you describe, after I did a  Windows Update and downloaded an updated driver for my C-Media soundcard.  The only way I could find to cure it was to remove the new driver and re-install the original one.

Offline rad

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 14:07 »
Re-installed the original Yamaha sound driver, but got stuck at the same point, shutdown OK but NO Reboot. :-\

After few days trial-error techniques, what I found out was Sygate Personal Firewall and DirectUpdate dynamic ip address updater are the one who are stalling the reboot process. If I disable these two from getting loaded at startup using MSCONFIG utility, my machine works just fine. ::)

So I switched to ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall, but with same result. :P

Looks like I have to carry on without reboot option. By the way, both these software load as system services. Has it got to do something with Win98?  ??? May be they work fine on win2K.

Any suggestions please.
ad.

Adept

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 13:18 »
Rad, have you installed all the patches available from www.windowsupdate.com for Windows 98.

In amongst the many patches listed there is one to fix shutdown problems. I haven't used 98 for a while so I can't remeber exactly what it is called, but it's something like Shutdown Supplement :-\

Hope this helps :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum