Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Going Blank  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Going Blank
« on: July 11, 2003, 18:20 »
Now, this is quite embarassing   as I've asked about this before, but I can't find the thread!  

Anyway, I still have this problem that every so often, my screen freezes for a second, then my desktop (only my desktop) goes blank for about three seconds, then comes back up, but with some of the system tray icons missing, although the programs themselves. i.e. firewall, anti-virus etc are still running.  This seems to happen when I'm navigating Windows Explorer, i.e. finding files etc, but I can't tie it down to any particular event.  The only thing I thought was am I going to quick for it, but surely that's just silly.

First I thought it was my firewall, as it seemed to do it at roughly the same random intervals as you get alerts.  It also seemed to start when I 'silenced' the alerts, but I've re-installed the firewall, had the alerts on and off, and I don't now think it's connected.

Then I thought it might be my graphics card drivers, so I updated them, and thought it was OK, but after a while it started again.

This only started happening since I re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows XP, due to a quagmire of other problems.  I'm not prepared to re-format yet again, just on the offchance that it might cure this problem (well, it's more of an annoyance really), unless I can actually pin the cause down.  I'm wondering if it's something to do with clearing memory, but really haven't a clue.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.  

:)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:Going Blank
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 18:46 »
I get that when my PC is loading a lot or on 98SE when it crashed. I normally just started explorer again and it worked fine
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 20:00 »
:tony: I dare say a cautious lad like you Simon would not like to run without a fire wall, right? But would like to eliminate any lingering doubts you have that it could be your fire wall, right ?  Well why dont you try a proccess of elimination,  uninstall Sygate and load ZoneAlarm just to see if the fault stays or goes. :tony: just testing ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 20:15 »
Are you still running that diskeeper program Simon?

I've spent all last night sorting out similar problems on my PC after installing Diskeeper  >:( I had to uninstall it in the end - it was too much bother.

I wonder if your problem is related? :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 20:27 »
Tony, well I suppose it might be worth a try, but this wasn't happening before the re-format, and I was using Sygate then.   :-\

Sean, no I didn't re-install Diskeeper after the re-format, so it can't be that.

I'm starting to be strangely drawn towards memory settings.  I had set my own virtual memory settings to 3 x RAM, before re-installing XP, but then I couldn't remember if both the minimum and maximum were set to 1536Mb, or just the max, with the min not set, or set to 0.  As I couldn't remember the configuration, I have let Windows manage the VM, and it's currently set to 767Mb, with 512 RAM.  Does anyone think this might be connected to the problem?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 00:29 »
Simon, it's a bit of a long, drawn-out process, but have you tried going into msconfig - startup and disabling all your startup programs and then re-enabling them one at a time?  It would allow you, by a process of elimination, to see if one f the programs running in the background is causing this.  I  know that disabling things such  as anti-virus is risky, but if you are thinking that a reformat may ultimately be necessary, it might be a risk worth taking.

Also, you have only been having this problem since your last reinstall.  Another long shot, but I presume you downloaded updates after reinstallation.  It couldn't be another case of a latest Windows update or patch causing the problem could it?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 01:36 »
Well, it's 01:30am, can't sleep, sweet FA on the telly, Big Brother is crying out for someone like Jade to return and liven it up, so I've been searching the web.  Found this. Although it is ongoing and a resolution still has to be  found, you might be interested in this link, Simon.

http://forums.techguy.org/t126393/sa3aaa26b08987eaa98d036ed95846dd4.html

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2003, 09:10 »
Right, that looks like the same problem, thanks Dave.  It's a long thread, so I'll have to read it all later, as I'm out most of the day today, but it certainly looks like a problem with Explorer.exe.  The trouble with processes of elimination is, of course, what they have all found, it's very hit and miss, as the event is so random, and sometimes does not occur for days.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2003, 15:35 »
Well, I've read through that thread, but as you said, Dave, no one seems to have fully resolved it do they?

The strange thing to me is that this has only started happening following the re-installation of XP.  I've got all the patches and updates, and the programs on here now are the same as I had before the format.  I might even hang on until SP2 comes out, and see if that cures it, as the later posts seem to point towards a problem with one of the patches from MS.  

Now wouldn't that be surprising!   ::)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2003, 15:49 »
The patches issue was the first thing that came to mind, then  when I read that thread it didn't surprise me to see that the thread eventually evolved into a patches issue.  I never download anything from the Microsoft updates site until at least three months after release, because like their software, MS patches seem to be released in the beta stage and those who do an early download end up as Guinea Pigs.

:tony: Well that's today's attack on Bill done and dusted.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2003, 17:54 »
Yeah, but I still have doubts, as if it was a patch issue, how come no one else on here seems to have the problem?   :-\  I'm gonna be dreaming about this tonight!

F ing computers!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2003, 18:04 »
Maybe everybody else does the same as me and refuse to load the patches Simon.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2003, 18:23 »
Well, I know there's arguments either way. but I'm not sure that's a good idea either.  It's a bit like never having your car serviced, because it happens to keep running!

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2003, 18:41 »
I've been having a look through Google Groups and although there are many reports of this problem on all Windows OS, there doesn't seem to be any real knowledge as to why this problem occurs.  One geezer claims that installing the OS "over the top" rectified it on his PC, but that is all I have been able to find.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2003, 20:49 »
OK, thanks for all your efforts, Dave.  Funnily enough, it hasn't happened so far today, but it's actually quite reassuring knowing it's not just me.   ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum