Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Problem loading OS onto new HDD  (Read 14787 times)

Offline arthurb

Re:Problem loading OS onto new HDD
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2003, 23:33 »

Right click on My Computer and select Properties,then Advanced then Start Up and Recovery Settings.
Untick Automatically Restart under System Failure and see if that sorts it out for you,if its still the same then go back and retick it  :-*

Sandra, I tried to do this last night but was not allowed unless ALERTER was running. I tried to follow the help & support guide but was unable to. There was slight differences between the guide and the actual display :-\

This problem doesn't happen every time I boot up. ???

The only answer is a compleat restore or new installation

Lobo I'm reluctant to do this at this stage as I've loaded alot of software back on to the pc. I guess I'm hoping that it's due to the system not quite set up properly yet. :-\
Could it be anything to do with my winME image on the D drive?

Have you tried a Scandisk arthurb?

Yes I have and everything was ok. :)

Arthur,try putting your scanner directly into the PC usb port so that you can eliminate any problems with the hub.
Is the hub a mains powered one,I think it must be if your port lights stay on after the PC is off?
If it isnt,then mains powered ones are usually better as the max. available current per port is only 500ma.
Usually hubs dont have any software or drivers to install as long as the usb ports that they are connected to the PC through are enabled in BIOS  

Sandra, today I tried putting the scanner directly into the PC. Same result. However, found scanner software on my TINY Extra cd which came with my original system. I loaded MGI Photosuite and Textbridge. Still no joy. ???

I'm pretty sure this is my scanner FU661E, from Tiny. VISIONEER 4800 A4 FLATBED SCANNER.

Is the hub a mains powered one,I think it must be if your port lights stay on after the PC is off?
If it isnt,then mains powered ones are usually better as the max. available current per port is only 500ma.
Usually hubs dont have any software or drivers to install as long as the usb ports that they are connected to the PC through are enabled in BIOS  

Yes it is mains powered and I seem to recall calling the shop where I purchased it from asking where the software cd was when I was initially installing it 2/3 years ago, as it mentions it in the instructions and I seem to recall that he told me it doesn't need any.

Where to now folks?

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2003, 23:52 »
Could it be anything to do with my winME image on the D drive?
No, It?s an XP registry problem and it won?t get better

VISIONEER 4800
Download the XP drivers from here also the PDF guide

http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/4800downloads.asp

Brian :troll:
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline arthurb

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2003, 00:15 »
VISIONEER 4800
Download the XP drivers from here also the PDF guide

http://www.visioneer.com/support/flatbed/4800downloads.asp

Thanks Lobo. I'll try this tomorrow.

Why do you think the Error only happens sometimes and what is the worst that could happen if I don't re-install?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2003, 00:32 »
Its not finding the required files for some reason Arthur,but sometimes it is doing,so it starts up ok.
Is you BIOS set to boot from floppy first,then IDE 0?
If so you may find that if you set it to boot from IDE 0 first then it may be more consistent seeing as it boots from IDE 0 after pressing F8  ???

Offline arthurb

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2003, 01:38 »
Could you remind how to get the BIOS Screen up? :-[

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2003, 01:42 »
Depends on the type of PC Arthur,some use delete key as it starts up and some use F2,it will say as you start up if you look at the bottom of the screen just after the memory check,it will say F2 or DEL for setup depending which type it uses  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2003, 04:51 »
Hi Arthurb,

I'm not going to teach you because my knoledge is very limited. I'm going only to tell you what I would have done if I were in your shoes.

I reviewed all the posts in your subject, I would have decided to put the "Partition Magic" diskets to wipe totally both hard disks again and reformat them to "NTFS". Then make the partitions that I want. After that I install Windows XP and that'll be all.

I know It'll seem to you too simple or even crazy because you don't like to erase again after installing many other programs. Well me, to avoid head breaking with unknown problems that manifest themselves from time to time and in many ways here and there, I would have done it.

Why I'm telling you that?

I think, you well know that if you like to install multiboot system you must install the older Windows first and after that the more recent. I understand that you want not to make multiboot but only one.

Because you tried to install different Windows versions, probably everyone of them left some traces (elements) on the hard disk. And non of them was installed completely as it should be. Sometimes you try to install the more recent first, some other times the older first. The elements from each probably got some conflicts or didn't fit to be with the others on the same computer. So, they were never wiped totally by the alternation of different Windows installations.(It happened as if you were making multiboot not respecting the order that the older one must be first.)  That's why I think it's better to wipe bothe disks totally and to start again by using them like version ones.

So, instead of going and searching from site to site for drivers and other elements, you have the Windows XP which will install by itself everything you will need.

Please Adept, Lobo Sandra and others, don't lough at me because of my analyse. I well know that I am limited in computer matters. But anyway I just wanted to express myself.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline arthurb

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2003, 05:09 »
Thanks for taking the time to read all the posts. I'm keen to hear any views / advice. However, when the computer shop techs hadn't a clue what was wrong I set off on this never ending journey. I've learned a few things on the way. I probably will do as you say but having been a wary convertee to XP I thought it would be best to get everything up and running as a trial.

Offline arthurb

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2003, 05:20 »
Sorry I hit the post button before I'd finished.

What is PARTITION MAGIC? Will it definately erase the "tattoo" the shop tech said could not be erased?

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2003, 12:24 »

Sorry I hit the post button before I'd finished.

What is PARTITION MAGIC? Will it definately erase the "tattoo" the shop tech said could not be erased?

To erase the hidden partition use a program call zap.exe that will remove all partitions hidden or not

joudi is correct, the best way if you want to dual boot is to install Win98 / ME on your IDE drive 0 and then install XP on another partition/drive

Brian ;D

* Adept fixed the / me problem :)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline arthurb

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2003, 02:07 »
Sandra
I changed the BIOS to boot up from IDE 0 first but I've still got the same message appearing occasionally. :( While I was checking the BIOS I had a look at all the parameters which could be changed. How do I know what should be disabled, enabled optimised etc. I obviously don't want to change things without being sure of what should / could happen ???

Still no joy with the scanner,USB Hub or TV Capture Card (I downloaded the latest XP driver from the manufacturers website- no change). ??? :'(

I'm demented. Anybody fancy a straight swap for a Sinclair ZX81?

Where is the "Devine Intervention" key on pc's?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2003, 02:24 »
I have been following your plight with interest Arthurb, and have decided that I will remain with WinMe as I would end up in the looney bin if I encountered all of your problems :o.  I hope you get there in the end ::).Good Luck :go:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2003, 02:26 »

Where is the "Devine Intervention" key on pc's?

That would be the FORMAT C: option Arthur  ;D

Without seeing what each option in BIOS is Arthur I cant really tell you which to do,and some of the stuff in there looks like it is in a foreign language to me at times  ::)
All I can suggest is that you only alter one or possibly 2 things at a time and see if it makes thing worse or better,write down what the original settings were before you changed them in case you get any problems and that way you can change them back.
If it comes to the worse then you can always select load bios defaults.
DO NOT alter anything to do with the CPU clock speeds so if anything has XXXmhz leave it as it is  :-*

Offline arthurb

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2003, 17:31 »

To erase the hidden partition use a program call zap.exe that will remove all partitions hidden or not

Brian ;D

Where can I find this zap.exe program? Is it part of Partition Magic? Today I purchased a pc mag which included a free cd with PARTITION COMMANDER on it. I haven't studied it yet but at first glance it looks similar to PARTITION MAGIC.

Has anybody used or heard of this?

I think I've decided to totally wipe my HDD's, Partition them and load ME (I've found my product key, all I need now is a copy of WIN ME) and possibly XP.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum